Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a friend in another state that is coming into town soon and wants to run one off (a the track of course) He has an 02 Firehawk with an 8# procharger with all the bolt ons (cam, tb,exhaust) I figure that he is around 500 to the wheels through a 6 speed. I've got him covered by 100 hp. but at this level in a street car - its ALL about traction. What can I expect when I run him? My car weighs 3630 w/me and my best times are in the sig.
Jim

·
Formerly BLOWN1989SALEEN
5,755 Posts
what mods does this car have to make you beleive its pushing 500RWHP???????? i can see 425-435 maybe i mean its at 8psi correct? i can see you toasting him pretty easy. the car prolly runs low 12's high 11's @120-122 im guessing

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mods are:
2002 Firehawk Blk 6spd, Chrome Wheels, Bilstein susp, Auburn Diff, Hurst Shifter, 7lbs ATI kit, 38# injectors, SLP Longtube Headers, 214/224 525/532 114 cam, ported T/b, LS! EDIT, Jwiss timing chain, Titanium Retainers and upgraded springs, Walbro 340 fuel pump,160 thermostat, boost guage. Stereo....Alpine 7398, 2 sets Focal 165ws, Macintosh MC431, Arc Audio 2500cl, 2 IDMAX 12s and FireHawk logo box from subthump
This guy can drive! You know people like Evan Smith and Bob Cosby that run 11's on "stock" stangs? This guy is like that.
Anyway I know he is very close to 500rwhp.
Jim

·
PMS Tuning Forum Moderator
3,478 Posts
Both of you drag radials will be a fair race. I think you should take him by a few lengths. His car should run some mid 11s but he weighs just a tad more than you.

Troy

·
Registered
461 Posts
IMO, his combo is good for about 121-123mph with good driving. How quickly he gets down the track is academic.
LS1's don't like blowers nearly as well as they like spray. Too much compression and not a good intake design for boost.
I think you've got him covered...just do something about getting that thing down the track a little more quickly in the first 100 feet. ;)
S.

·
Registered
130 Posts
500hp, my friend with his ls1 heads and cam car puts 430 to the wheels and cuts 11.6's on San Antonio.If he has heads ported i would say he will take it.
So the supercharger doesn't like the short runner intake.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I think i will have to say you will get him, the fact is he is probably going across the scales at 3800.You should get him,he is a high 11 car.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Snorman said:
...just do something about getting that thing down the track a little more quickly in the first 100 feet. ;)
S.
I'm working on beefing up the rear first!:D
Jim

·
Registered
111 Posts
High 11's I seriously doubt. The 01-up ls1's are NO JOKE! My brother is at a 12.6 w/ a maf, lid, and cutout on a 01 TA. He put down 345rwhp. I say this car should easily have 500rw. I do think it will be a good race, and know it is HARD to launch an ls1 manual with that kind of power.
If you hook hard, you can get him, but you had better tree him too.....just in case!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It'll be fun! We will prolly go to the friday night street races at Beaver Springs Dragway.
Jim

·
Registered
65 Posts
droptop92 said:
500hp, my friend with his ls1 heads and cam car puts 430 to the wheels and cuts 11.6's on San Antonio.If he has heads ported i would say he will take it.
So the supercharger doesn't like the short runner intake.
Unfortunately, 430 is abnormal for a blown LS1. I've seen them push close to 500 again and again, usually with Vortechs, but I can't imagine the Procharger being that much different. And yes, I'm talking about with stock heads and cam. Those engines are no joke.

Good luck.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'd say the 500rwhp guess is pretty close.

Weights will proabably be fairly similar, but I'd say you're ~100#'s lighter.

I think you've got him covered pretty well as long as you're on similar tires, and get that thing down the track.

BLOWN1989SALEEN said:
what mods does this car have to make you beleive its pushing 500RWHP???????? i can see 425-435 maybe i mean its at 8psi correct? i can see you toasting him pretty easy. the car prolly runs low 12's high 11's @120-122 im guessing
:lol:

·
Registered
108 Posts
A friend of mine has a 2000 Blk LS1 Z28 and has gone [email protected] All he has on the LS1 is a lid, K&N filter,4.10 gears, Pro 5.0 shifter, mid length header, off road y-pipe, MAC muffler and DR's. By the way that was with a slipping clutch. Not bad for some bolt on's. Just line them up and go for it.

Later,

Dawg

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Most LS1's with about 5#'s of boost are dynoing around the 400rwhp mark FYI. So I would say 475-500rwhp IS possible form his setup. Yours will be quicker than his at the track guaranteed. Let us know OK?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I drove by his parents house today - he IS in town! I'll keep you guys posted.
Jim

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
It'll be a good race.

My 99 SS was a heads, cam, intake, long tube car and put down 420 Rwhp and 400 Rwtq. I can't imagine him putting a blower on the car and not seeing 500+ at the wheels.

Like everyone said, if you don't tree him you're fighting an uphill battle.

Good luck.. i wish we could all come and watch. :)

Alan

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Subsctibing, I'd like to know the outcome of this one. :D

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Called his brother today and started hearing excuses -" the check engine light keeps coming on" "the tranny keeps poping out of 3rd gear." " Maybe we could just do a FUN run?" I don't know what will happen - we'll see.
Jim

1 - 20 of 25 Posts