Ford Mustang Forums banner

How far downstream can Catalytic be mounted?

685 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  JKolbfleisch 
#1 ·
I'm looking to make my car legal (and quieter for cruising) with an electric-open bypass pre-cat. I know the cat needs heat to operate effectively but my Turbo-piping doesn't allow it to be mounted too far upstream. Any idea how far is too far? (I was thinking of mounting it somwhere near where the catback bolts to mid-pipe.)

#3 ·
After driving aroud, I put her up on jackstands to finish-touch everything. Put a turbo-blanket on, wrapped all the hot-side pipes, replaced the ON3 clamps with better ones ($60). I've been daily driving it to work everyday and just LOVE it. No leaks at all, decently quick spool and plenty of power. The spoolup sounds fantastic, like a turbine .... very loud and gets plenty of head turns.

The bad? I absolutely HATE HATE HATE the sound of the catless mid-pipe. Through my Flowmasters it sounds like a riced out Honda with a few more pistons. (Another reason I want to put the cat back on) I might even throw OEM mufflers back on for a super quiet sleeper ride around town. Some people like that azz-terrible sound ... but it makes the car feel like loud and slow bolt on car.

#4 ·
Chambered mufflers sound like #### on turbo'd v8 not to mention create back pressure. Get some resonators or blow through mufflers like the magnaflow magnapacks.

#7 ·
I took these videos for another website that requested an ON3 exhaust. Figured I'd share.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.