Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, move if you wish!
A search didn't help me but with so many people selling cylinder heads in here I figured post here and could help others at the same time. How does everyone ship heavy iron cylinder heads? Ive heard double box each head/set and fill the space with that expanding foam or put them on a long piece of cardboard and roll it a few times to build it up and then tape it good. How does everyone else do it? Should each head be shipped individually or as a set? I believe after 75lb it needs to be freight?
I've also heard people shipping via greyhound bus.

How does everyone pack their iron heads safe and securely?

·
Registered
585 Posts
In the past, I've rolled them in card board and put them in individual boxes with styrofoam around it. Never heard complaints from buyer.

I've received heads that look like the postal service dropped on my porch from 30k feet, but after filing a claim, they more than covered the costs to re-machine the deck.

·
Registered
198 Posts
You can ship fed ex or ups as long as it is under 150lbs a couple of years ago i shipped a member on here an aod transmission through fed ex it was a couple pounds over weight and they charged me extra but still better than the pain in the ass of freight shipping it

·
Registered
148 Posts
I shipped a pair of TFS 170's to Mississippi not too long ago. I wrapped each head up in a thick paper bag, then heavy bubble wrap and finally a good cardboard box. And tapped the heck out of it. They were two individual boxes and ran 65ish dollars total for both. One thing to do is avoid the UPS stores or franchise shipping places, they all have a mark up. I went right to a large UPS facility and found the customer shipping desk.

·
Registered
257 Posts
FedEx Ground and direct drop off at a FedEx location is usually the least expensive route. As mentioned you can ship up 150lbs but there is a surcharge for overweight packages over 70lbs. 2 separate boxes double wall if possible and a couple inches of padding on all sides all taped securely and you should be good.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
ship heads

make sure to insure them

Reactions: wikedwindsor

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just shipped a set a few weeks back, put 3 layers of cardboard between the deck surfaces, wrapped them in plastic and taped them together. Wrapped them in bubble wrap, then stuffed them in a box with packing paper all around. Shipping was ~$68 through UPS with $1100 insurance, I believe it weighed 75 lbs all said and done with a set of rocker arms.

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
In the past, I've rolled them in card board and put them in individual boxes with styrofoam around it. Never heard complaints from buyer.

I've received heads that look like the postal service dropped on my porch from 30k feet, but after filing a claim, they more than covered the costs to re-machine the deck.
Bingo.

Open a cardboard box (double wall is better) so it's flat. Roll the heads in it so you have 2-3 layers. Tape it up well. Put that into a box.
Do the same to the other head.
Ship separately....or if Aluminum AND you have access to a banding machine, band them/tape them together.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I use UPS or DHL, they seem to be the least expensive. A single head weighs 58lbs, I roll them in cardboard and tape them up. I've never had an issue with it.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I consistently ship cast iron heads together, one 106lb package. FedEx with an account is under $100 from Florida all the way out to New Mexico. Any cardboard will work, just make sure you either A. wrap it in shipping plastic or get yourself a $1 roll of plastic wrap or B. wrap enough tape around it so the shipping label will always be flat and visible. Shouldn't have any problem getting to the destination

·
Please call me Mike
1,602 Posts
I used theses ups battery module boxes. Each battery weighs about the same as a head so the boxes are pretty heavy duty. I think it was 60 bucks to ship iron heads. Shipped 1 head per box.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
a couple of years ago i shipped a member on here an aod transmission
Shipped an old TopLoader 4-speed via UPS once. Went to WalMart and bought an $8 plastic bin, put the tranny in diagonally, filled with a bunch of Styrofoam peanuts and banded the top on. Guy I sold it to probably had enough Styrofoam peanuts to last a lifetime. LOL

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shipped some heads the other day and all went well....Thanks for the replies!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts