Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body guys out there, maybe you can help me out here. I'm taking my '88lx vert in to have some surface spots done, and then painted. First of all, the place uses Dupont paint.....how does that stack up to other paints?

Second, he is charging me $1700 to fix about 5 spots of surface rust, none bigger than a quarter, and then paint. Pretty reasonable? What is the average coats of paint?

Lastly, do body shops normaly paint the door jams, or do you have to ask them to?

Any info would help me out greatly! Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
DuPont is one of the major players. You shouldn't have any problems with them using it. But also be aware that DuPont as well as the others have varying lines of quality. Most places tend to use the better paints, their reputations are on each job rolling out the door.

If it's a complete paint job the price looks pretty reasonable to me. Typically theer are 2-4 base coats depending on the coverage of the base and normally 2 coats of clear. If it's a single stage paint 2-3 is typically applied.

Door jambs are normally extra but some of the smaller shops incorporate it into the estimate on a complete. Only way to know is to ask and go from there.

·
Registered
797 Posts
the place uses Dupont paint.....how does that stack up to other paints?
I use it exclusively and feel that it is one of the best out there.

Second, he is charging me $1700 to fix about 5 spots of surface rust, none bigger than a quarter, and then paint. Pretty reasonable? What is the average coats of paint?
I take it that price is for an entire repaint, plus bodywork and prep? I would not think that is too bad...

Lastly, do body shops normaly paint the door jams, or do you have to ask them to?
It depends, I would ask them to be sure. A lot of them do not do jambs or around the inside of the hood/trunk areas.

I would also ask if this price includes wetsanding and buffing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great!! Those replys helped out greatly! Thanks so much for the time.

Oh, and congrats on being a new daddy! Great, isn't it!!

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
DuPont works good. I had Chromabase base/clear on my 89 LX, looked good and holds up well. I also use PPG products which also work well.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I want to paint my car and it needs work around the doorjambs and underside of the trunklid. Obviously when you have these open there is an issue of paint getting in the car. What do the bodyshops do, cover the opening with plastic sheets and a whole lot of masking tape?

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
To do it right you'd need to pull the weatherstrips and then it's easy to back tape the flange to seal it up with paper/plastic. Careful masking can make for a nice job. The trunk jambs and lid I'd pull the lid off and spray it off the car as well as to the trunk jambs. Once it's dry realign the lid and shoot the outside with the car.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I had my car paint with Dupont and it came out great. Paint color was FORD code ES Performance Red. I allways get compliments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts