Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
95 Mustang GT convertible with automatic transmission.

My owner's manual says it "disables the starting circuit" when anti-theft system is activated. I had the engine rebuilt and I took out the engine wiring harness to recover them. When trying to start the engine it just turns over and gets no spark. The key that came with it was generic when I bought it. I figure maybe the EEC has reset and enable the anti-theft system or I have timing issues. At this point, I feel I have exhausted all known methods to correct timing.

How do I know for sure if the the anti-theft system has disabled the starting circuit? And if it is, is there an easy way to disable it. And would it even turn over if it were a anti-theft issue? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
318 Posts
most aftermarket remote starts bypass the antitheft. or you could have some one turn off the antitheft system in the eec with a tuner

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Do you think I would have to tow it to the dealer? The tuners I can see cost between 300 to 500 bucks. Would a mobile locksmith be able to do this?

·
Registered
318 Posts
dealer most likely won't turn it off. i doubt a mobile locksmith would. try and find a shop that tunes mustangs around you. surely they can help you out. what happened to the coded key? You can always have ford make you a new one but your looking at an easy 150 for that

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
In the 1995 mustang "owner's guide", it was referred to as the "anti-theft system". Mine was factory installed along with the remote entry system. They started calling it PATS in 1996. A lot of people, even I, called it PATS a lot. I even called the "service department" and they said, "We started that in 1996". Sure you did with the calling it "PATS" and stuff. But before that (1995) it was the "anti theft system" with "remote entry system". They were the ones that got me to look at the "owner's guide" after talking with them. They know just as much as I do.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dealer most likely won't turn it off. i doubt a mobile locksmith would. try and find a shop that tunes mustangs around you. surely they can help you out. what happened to the coded key? You can always have ford make you a new one but your looking at an easy 150 for that
I have never had a coded key. When I bought the car, it only had a generic car key and trunk key which leads me to believe somehow the "anti-theft system" was disabled at this time and had come back to haunt me by disabling the starting circuit. I disconnected a lot of wires and parts. The battery was disconnected for quite some time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK. problem is finally solved. I have spark now and vehicle cranks. The driver side HEGO (Oxygen) sensor connector was switched with the distributor connector. So in essence, it was the PIP sensor, Hall-Effect sensor, stator or whatever. I thought these things were dummy proof. Guess not:( Thanks everyone for our suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts