Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked into the haynes repair manual but it doesnt explain exactly what settings it should be on and im no electrician. Please help.

·
Registered
764 Posts
i believe you want ohms setting

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i can read that it says it should be 5.5 k-ohm' s. Im pretty sure that i have it on that thanks.
When i put the mm to ohms i set it to what though?
I get nothing when i switch the settings in the ohms from 200, 2k, 20k, 2m, 20m. Just a 0.L with the prods in place.
Now what?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
ohming out a cop wont tell you ####, very rarely if ever does the primary coil fail. they either need to be stress tested by ford or just flat out replaced if you are having an issue

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Id like to know how to test them so i guess ill just need to put them on a working motor and just see if it throws a code. Id like to know how else to test so i can start pulling them off wreckers and testing them before i sell/use them. Thanks Guys

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
the only real way to tell if you have a good coil is to stress test each one, the 10,000$ ford testing equipment works good for this.......

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well Im not trying to find "the bad one". I want to figure out how to test them so i can resell them. Thanks

·
Registered
667 Posts
You sure can ohm out a bad cop. I do it all the time. You put one lead on the + terminal of the connector and the other goes to the lead that goes to the spark plug.

There are some cases when the missfire is caused by a crack in the coil boot so you should make sure the boots look ok too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts