Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the dyno today to see how my new explorer engine combo is doing.

After the first run was completed my car spewed coolant out of the overflow resevoir and now I am steaming out the tail pipes.

However, there is no coolant in the oil and the car is not overheating.

I ran it and there are a few small bubles in the coolant, but he car runs otherwise fine. It did this on both runs and made good power. Not detionation whatsoever occured on either run.

On the road and under accelaration their is relatively little steam coming from the exhaust, but at idle and when I let off the gas it is pretty bad.

At any rate, I am hoping that it is just the lower intake gasket passing antifreeze.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Scott

·
Registered
35,895 Posts
Sorry about that Scott. Think about how the head gasket seals - there's all kinds of ways it can 'blow'. If you're getting coolant in the exhaust (can you smell it?), more than likely it's coming from the head gasket. When the intake seal goes, it usually allows coolant to enter the lifter valley - which results in water in the oil. Especially on a boosted engine - hard for coolant to come out of the manifold passage and force it's way into a boosted intake passage on the manifold - see what I mean? Put a pressure tester on the radiator and pressurize the system. Pull the plugs out and turn the motor over. If the head gasket is gone, it will usually force coolant into the cylinder, and you'll see it coming out the spark plug holes when you turn it over. You can also run a leak-down compression test. If you pressurize the cylinder, and the head gasket is bad, you'll see bubbles in the coolant. By the way - with coolant "cooling" the combustion charge, I wouldn't expect detonation would be a problem. :) Be real careful on cold start up - if the gasket is leaking enough to fill the cylinder, you don't want to hydro-lock the cylinder. Things that are supposed to be straight have been known to bend. I wouldn't run it anymore until you know what the issue is. Don't want to do more damage.

·
Registered
35,895 Posts
Do you have coolant lines on your new egr spacer? It's not entering the intake through some kind of leak there is it? Given your other issues with that, it occurred to me coolant might be getting into the intake there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No coolant lines to the EGR. Just steaming like a locomotive. The radiator is down on coolant and the resevoir is full to the top.

The car has not overheated at all.

This sucks. I just got the #$% thing running and now this.

Good news is I made 352 RWHP with this nonsense going on.

Is the fact that the radiator is low meaning that the exhaust gasses are pressurizing the radiator to the point that coolant will not flow?

Thanks,
SCott

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've experienced both problems on my 5.0 and the symptoms prevented themselves similarly. You could be inducting coolant through the intake ports of your head(s) by the coolant passages if the lower intake gasket didn't seal up well, although that'd generally be more of a pronounced smoke through the exhaust at all times rather than if it was a minor head gasket leak. Try a compresion test or a test like micheal indicated...if that doesn't help the best thing is to start breaking it down and inspect that intake gasket for evidence of an improper seal.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It has to be a head gasket. I started it to move it into the center of the garage, to get ready for this job. You know the one that would have been so much easier last week with the motor out of the car.

Any way no smoking when the engine is cold (thermostat not open yet) however, plenty of bubbles in the overflow resevoir. Has to be head gasket.

Any suggestions on what gaskets to use to preent this in the future. Hopefully, I can buy them at an Autozone, O'reilly or Napa?

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I have quickly come to grips with this sad reallity.

Scott

·
Registered
35,895 Posts
Scott - make a new post and ask the supercharged guys to weigh in. They can tell you what gaskets/bolts/torques to use to solve the problem. How much boost??

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
about 8 lbs. I put a post on power adders.

Thanks,
scott

1 - 9 of 9 Posts