Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up the multifunction switch for the turn, hazard, etc. Having trouble figuring out how to swap the handle from the old one to the new one. Can anyone tell me what the trick is?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
its easy.

remove the plastic steering column cover..

and there are two screws that hold the turn signal lever and assembly onto the column..

i think they are hex screws

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I might not have been specific. I've got the switch off of the column and unhooked from the two harnesses. Its just the new switch doesn't have a handle, and I can't figure out how to get the handle off the old one and into the new one.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I tried to do this last night. My '90 turn signal switch went bad, and I had a spare one from an '89 car. It works for what I need it to do. My headlights stopped working, and this fixed it. Although, the wipers and wiper fluid pump doesn't work, and I think it's because of the missing pin on these older turn signal switches. Anyway, I don't have wipers, so I don't need that function anyway. The headlights, high beams, and turn signals work, I just need the handle from the newer turn signal switch that I have. It looks like they are the special torx screws that need a torx bit with a hole in it. If these scres are removed, can the handle, JUST THE HANDLE, be switched, as JSWelburn originally asked?

Frank

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I didn't think you could buy the switch seperately. Aren't there instructions with the part? The cruise wires go up the middle of the handle and the case is rivetted together, isn't it?
I don't see why you guys don't get a complete one from a wreckers. There's about a million good ones there.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I am gonna go today to look for one, as it might just be easier than swapping out the handle. Last time I went, I didn't see any '90-up stangs.

Frank

·
Registered
372 Posts
They make special Tamper proof torx bits w/little holes in the center to take those fasteners out. The electronic ion your mass-air have the same fastener, tho I don't know if it's the same size.
I bought a set over the internet years ago. I would think any friendly speed shop would loan you one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts