Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would you recommend them to someone, or buy them again? Any regrets buying em'? What are the flow numbers on these? Would I be better off just buying some TW heads? Thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I just bought a set. I have no regrets buying them at all. The main reason I bought them was because I wanted to only spend $1000 on heads and I already had 1.7 pedestal mount rockers so it worked out perfect.

If money is not a option for you then get AFR's.

Flow numbers are:
Edelbrock 60379 heads with 1.90/1.60 valves
lift /intake / exhaust
.050 26.5 21.5
.100 54.5 50
.150 85.5 72.5
.200 119 96
.250 147 114
.300 173 133
.350 195 146
.400 210.5 156
.450 220 163
.500 230 170.5
.550 237 177

I'm ran 104mph totally untuned on a brand new motor in 90 degree weather with mine. I'll be going to the track this weekend to see if I can get around 107mph with tuning. I myself do not like Trickflow just for the fact that it takes a 2.02 intake valve to flow what afrs do and afr uses a 1.90. 2.02 valve could possibly cause a loss of low end. But people have ran very good times using trickflows and say the bottom end is not soft, so i guess its just a matter of opinion. Either way you go you can expect 300rwhp with the right combo.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
Ok....

Edelbrocks are good heads, but there are better designs out there. For a street 302, the AFR 165 is about the best head you can buy. It flows more and has a smaller flow area. That means more potential torque throughout the rpm band. Also note that you'll be paying 30% more for the AFRs. If you want a bang/buck ratio, I think AFR and Edelbrock come out about the same. I think you'll pay 30% more, and potentially gain 30% more with the AFR's. I bought my Edelbrock heads before AFRs were being made for Fords. If I were purchasing heads today, I'd go for AFRs. I am happier with my Edelbrocks, but I would be even happier if I had AFRs.

Billy

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, I can get a pretty good deal on either one, and I was just wondering which one would be a better option. Money is an issue at this point, so I'd like to keep it under $1000.

·
Registered
163 Posts
if you have to keep it under a grand then get the brocks, if you can hold out and save an additional 300 bucks I know you'll be happy you did, wait and get the afr 165.

·
Registered
376 Posts
in a drag race at the track in the same exact cars you probably coundn't tell the difference between and 60379 or a 165 afr, except if they wrote the price of the heads on the car.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I am satisfied with my 6037's. Very good quality. Now when I went to buy aluminum heads I really wanted AFR's due to better flow but no one at the time had any in stock and I needed them the next day for the install. That and a good friend of mine running 6037's is why I went with Edelbrock. I really think that either one that you choose you will be satisfied with them.

David

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
bmo37 said:
in a drag race at the track in the same exact cars you probably coundn't tell the difference between and 60379 or a 165 afr, except if they wrote the price of the heads on the car.
Right said bmo37!

I ran a 8.09 in the 1/8th mile with mild ported iron Gt-40's, Cobra intake, shorty headers, stock cam and 3.73's in a 89 Gt. I've got a set of 60379 Edelbrocks coming my way and I cannot wait. I don't drag any longer but they are a nice head with a good quality rep. Check on the lounge, there is a Summit 10% discount posted and you can get them for right at $1k from them with the discount.

Casey

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
If the edelbrock heads are sensitive to cams, what kind of cams do they like. I am going to run #7-8 of boost with the edels. so what kind of cam should I choose? Thanks

·
Registered
376 Posts
the trick flow stage 1 cam is a good combo with the edelbrock head i heard, and u can't beat that 135 price tag.

·
Registered
235 Posts
bmo37 said:
the trick flow stage 1 cam is a good combo with the edelbrock head i heard, and u can't beat that 135 price tag.
I run that cam. The best mph I pulled so for is 105.6mph. This was in 90 degree weather and I was having trouble with my car overheating due to a bad thermastat. Next time I should do much better.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I like my 6037's! I got a really good deal on them at $800 brand spankin' new out the box because the original buyer purchased a set of Twisted Wedge's that were ported and polished. I recently had the heads re-fitted with 2.02's and a mild port job. As stated before, there are better choices out there but I, like you, money was an issue. AFR seems to be the hot item everyone wants right now, but I'm stayin' with the 'brocks!

·
Registered
376 Posts
4play said:
Show me the track times with the $135 dollar cam with 6037 heads & that $190 saved won't be very attractive :)
i have now doubt that 60379's and a stage 1, with a rpm intake, gears, full exhaust, etc can run low 12's or even high 11's, I don't think thats to unattractive.

Everyone rips on the edelbrock heads, because they always think back to the older design, but the newer ones flow close to the afr's. It will only take time untill they will make a comeback and don't get the old "well there are better heads out there crap"

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
If you look at my sig, my comment was addressing the cam choice.
I ran the times in my sig the day before FFW 90 something degrees & 90 something humidity @ 3200lbs on ET streets. I've yet to see 6037's with an alphabet or TFS stage 1 cam N/A 302-306 run anywhere near as well. "Glen" did with a 512 Crower cam in a lighter coupe.
The car can run 11's, the student driver is holding it back.

You say it can, but has it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts