·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the signs of bad O2 sensors???

·
Registered
36 Posts
Check engine light will come on. Run a code scanner to confirm.

engine will usually buck and surge at idle after being warmed up.

fuel mileage will begin to suffer.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine is an 88 so there is no check engine light. I will try to pull codes sometime this week.. my car does surge a tiny bit on startup but I thought it was just a dirty IAB valve. Also will strong smell of exhaust fumes be signs of bad O2's? and as far as gas mileage I am getting 17MPG with about 60% interstate 40% in town driving but my car is also speed density too, which may have an affect on mileage.

Scott

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
If they are original, I would just replace them anyways.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know about original but they haven't been changed since I bought the car in the Spring of 99...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
If the money is no issue, just swap them out. $40 each. If money is an issue... how bad do you want new O2's?

I think it's one of those deals where your going to end up buying them sooner or later anyways. You want them today or next year?

Might as well get them today so you can use them all this year instead of worrying/wondering about them and putting up with potentionally less performance for a whole year till you finally spend the money on some new ones.

Happens to me all the time. I want something but don't want to spend the money on it, and put up with it for a long time and finally end up buying it.

Like right now, I'd love to have a new TPS sensor and MAP sensor. New O2's would be nice too... The list goes on and on and on. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts