Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got headers put on my car, like a year ago when I had an engine rebuild, since then I get an exhaust leak about every 2 weeks, and have to tighten and even replace missing bolts, and MAN those things are hard to get to. How do you keep them tight ? can you put some sorta loctite on them ?? Anyone have any suggestions ?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
A trick I heard about and used is I used teflon tape on the headers bolts. I have had my headers on for 2 years and not one single leak. I jsut wrapped the bolts with teflon like I was sealing them. I don't remember exactly where I heard to use teflon tape on headers bolts, Hot Rod or Car Craft magazine. I have not had to remove the header bolts as of yet, so I cannot say if it will be easy or not.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The TFE tape should hold well over 180 degrees. We use it at work for swaglock fitting that are over 100 degress C. So unless you over heat bad you won't have a problem.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wow, those self locking bolts are very cool. I assume they work well if you are posting about them... but how do you like em? I was going to use some LocTight... but these bolts look like a better option.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Use stage 8 locking bolts. That will 100% do the trick.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
David1969 said:
Use stage 8 locking bolts. That will 100% do the trick.
Can you post a link of a number, I'm doing FMS shorties in a few weeks. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
Um, what size do I want? Sorry, I don't do headers myself. I have a shop do it and I have no idea what size.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've have used the Stage 8's and after a year and half the gasket finally blew out. The bolts will still loosen up a little bit enough for the gasket to blow out after a little. They are a heck of a lot better than regular header bolts, but I think the split locks would work better. IMO

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
can you use loc tight on aluminum heads?

·
Registered
453 Posts
When mine fall out, I replace them with stainless steel bolts and locking washers. I use the kind with the internal hex heads (use an allen wrench), because I can get them tighter than the regular hex bolts that are essentially touching the header tubes. The new ones seem to stay put, although when I do heads, I'll probably use the stage8's.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts