Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had 3.73's installed in my car and would like to change the speedo gear to match. I bought the correct speedo gear from Steeda but it did not come with directions, any help would be appreciated.

FYI-I have a little bone to pick with Steeda. I bought their overpriced gear ($15.95) over the phone with a credit card, I didn't bother to ask for a total, just verified the part, and price. Well when I got the part the invoice showed a ten dollar s&h charge, that is freakin ridiculous being as though the part only ways a few ounces, and could be packed in a padded envelope. This on top of providing no instructions irritated me to say the least, so to make a long story short, if you call Steeda make sure you get a total with shipping before you give them your credit card number, or you may just get the shaft like me :(

Thanks, Jarrid

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
Follow the speedo cable where it enters the tailshaft of the tranny. You will see a small bolt holding a clip that holds the cable. Remove it and pull the complete gear assembly from the tail. Now you will see the gear. On one side there is a retaining clip. Use a small screwdriver and remove the clip and the plastic gear comes off. Replace in reverse order.

·
Registered
774 Posts
CATCHMEIFUCAN said:

FYI-I have a little bone to pick with Steeda. I bought their overpriced gear ($15.95) over the phone with a credit card, I didn't bother to ask for a total, just verified the part, and price. Well when I got the part the invoice showed a ten dollar s&h charge, that is freakin ridiculous being as though the part only ways a few ounces, and could be packed in a padded envelope. This on top of providing no instructions irritated me to say the least, so to make a long story short, if you call Steeda make sure you get a total with shipping before you give them your credit card number, or you may just get the shaft like me :(

Thanks, Jarrid
Yeah, I had problems with Steeda too. I ordered an overdrive alternator pulley from them. On their website it said it was like $17. So I bought it online. I get the bill and those jerk weeds charged me $20 on my credit card for the part, then $8 for shipping for this tiny little box. This box was like 6"x6"x6". That is why I will never order anything from them again.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Thats why you order steeda parts from one of their supplies. But the speedo gear is prolly cheaper at Ford.

SVT

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really wasn't concerned with spending the $15.95 for the gear, my only complaint was with the $10 S&H charge for a part that weighed a few ounces, and is the size of a thimble. Just wanted everyone to make sure they clarify everything before finalizing a sale with Steeda.

·
Registered
774 Posts
CATCHMEIFUCAN said:
Well at least I wasn't the only one. Nice suspension, and chassis work on the 90 there Will88.
Thanks for the compliment Catchmeifucan. ;)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what I thought. Makes me wonder why so many people go to the extent of changing gears but not recalibrating the speedo. Why would you want to run up the odometer on your fox any faster than usual.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
B/C recalibrating it is more and you have to remove it.

SVT

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Remove what? Any backyard mechanic could do it, if it is as simple as pulling a cable on the tailshaft, and replacing a little plastic gear. Am I missing something here? As I see it, for $15 you can have an actual odometer reading, rather than one that is putting excess miles on your car, and making it's value depreciate faster.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts