Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced my 26's with 28's and I am thinking I might be making a mistake.

Car is a single turbo 302 3550 race weight
530hp,500ftlbs
PA supercomp AODE

Thinking the load will be good for the turbo but not sure.

·
Registered
922 Posts
i was told with a turbo set up, you lowest nermical gear you can run to help spool the turbo, but i have no experince

·
Registered
195 Posts
You should be fine. 327's are what you want forsure and the 28 will give you plenty of traction. I run a 275 60 radial which is 28'' high and it is about perfect for a mid ten second runs

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Rich I have 26X10 MT with 2 passes in the 1/8th if you dont like the 28s. I really like 28x9s just for the fact the tuct in so well. Maybe we can trade tires just let me know.

·
Registered
195 Posts
3.27's would be fine if you made about 1200hp
What??
Its a turbo car, Completly different than any other type of power adder. You need a low gear. 3.73 are only good for low elevens in a turbo car, which you could run 9.0's in a nitrous car. The turbo cars gears should be low.

Like I said before it will be perfect

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
What??
Its a turbo car, Completly different than any other type of power adder. You need a low gear. 3.73 are only good for low elevens in a turbo car, which you could run 9.0's in a nitrous car. The turbo cars gears should be low.

3.73's are only good for low elevens in a turbo car? :lol:

It is true that turbo's do well with a load on the engine. That said, a 3.27 and a 28" tire is going to be slow off the line, and you're only going to be in 3rd for a second. I mean, at 6000rpms in third, he would be running a solid 150mph. 28" tires are probably a good move. But I bet money you will pick up ET by switching to atleast a 3.73, if not a 4.10, and keeping the taller tires

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I am gonna return them and try to get a 26, I am thinking the car is gonna be a huge pig with them.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Maybe. I love my 28" tires, but my car is geared for them. The extra traction Helps at the unprepped tracks around central Florida, like Orlando and Gainesville :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
we ran a set of 28's on a buddies twin turbo junk yard set up it made 550 ish to the ground it was a stick car mide you but he used to leave on the rev limiter (5500rpm) and it would bog put a set of 26's on it and it would blow the tires off, just from my personal experiance, if your gonna run a 28 inch tire go at least 355's (guessing not noing your set up of coarse!)

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
What??

:idunno:

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
I run 28s with 3.27s....they are great if you're going 170.

I;ll bet he has a stock rev limiter and is probably shifting anywere from 5500 to 5800 in his power curve. And it would also depend on his convertor slipage aswell.

·
Registered
7,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the links, the gears are already there but no one really mentioned tire size in those posts, and most of the guys had 5 speeds and I am running an auto

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Yea, and a 5spd, with a 3.35 first gear is going to get out of the hole alot better than an AODE with a 2.40 first. Also, most of those threads are about daily drivers.

You know, thinking about it, my buddies turbo car runs pretty well with a 3.27 rear gear. Granted, he is running twin 88's, a big inch windsor, and a 'glide, not to mention 190mph out the back end, but what works for one, must work on them all, right?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Me personally I would run the 28's with the 3.27s

I have about 100 or so more hp but I just made the swap from 3.55s to a 3.31 and find out friday.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
You have to remember a higher numerical gear ratio is used for mechanical advantage. Basically to help the car feel lighter. With a turbo that makes a lot of torque the higher numerical gear ratio is not as important. So in many situations people with turbo cars run a 28" tall tire and a 3.27 or 3.55 gear. Every car and combo is different. Testing is about the only way you will know for sure what will be best for you.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Thanks for the links, the gears are already there but no one really mentioned tire size in those posts, and most of the guys had 5 speeds and I am running an auto
I run 275/50/15's with a 3.08 gear and the car likes it , granted im not at your power level.

on the same day on back to back passes i tried 28x11.5 et streets and went 11.20 at 120 , bolted on the 275/50 drag radials and went 10.88 at 124 .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts