Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
86 4 eye, 410 stroker, holley sniper, T70 single turbo, lentech aod, xbrake, 3.55's, k member, 5 lug
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am just sick of reading in 5.o and mm&ff about these 11 sec cars!! these are full interior late models with mod motors and STOCK TIRES. sure, they're all tricked out with blowers and chips and exhaust, but not much more. supposedly dynoed at 450 hp, but PALEEESE!! my car has 100 morw hp and weighs alot less and i can't break out of the 12's?? it's all in traction and weight transfer, so how are these guys doing it? the latest 5.0 has this guy with a 60" like 1.6 sec. with stock tires, it just doesn't seem possible?? he's got some nice shocks, but not 90/10's or anything drag racey??

·
Registered
982 Posts
I see what you are sayin. Here is what I did at the track my first time. I only had ssm lift bars, stock uppers, worn out 50/50 shocks. 1.74 60' and 7.95 @ 86 mph in the 1/8 mile. But my car is far from full interior etc. etc...

·
Registered
982 Posts
Oh yeah those times were with stock ported heads and no nitrous.

·
Registered
97 Posts
They just are better drivers than most and they don't bitch about people who can afford to go fast.......Those who don't have the money to play should just sit and watch.......

·
Registered
86 4 eye, 410 stroker, holley sniper, T70 single turbo, lentech aod, xbrake, 3.55's, k member, 5 lug
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whoooa bk, my momma always said, " if you can't sat something nice, don't say anything at all!" better drivers.. i doubt it! i've been hot rodding cars for 40 years... and nobody's bitchin', just asking a question... don't have money to play, duh.. i've got receipts for over $20,000 on my car, and it hasn't been cosmetically improved one cent worth. all $$ on engine, tranny, brakes and suspension.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Its comments like "Those who don't have the money to play should just sit and watch......." that make me cheer for the underdog. The sleeper that can beat the high dollar car is the car I appreciate. It takes more than money to build a decent ride.

A guy I know built a v8 Monza. It has stock rear wheel wells, 26x8x15 slicks, stock front rims, stock spider paint job, boss 429 scoop, 377 destroked motor that he put together himself, home ported aluminum heads, turbo 350, 12 bolt rear with owner installed southside machine ladder bars and subframes and no cage(at least at first)

The guy drove it to the track with a tank of race gas(about 1 hour on the highway each way,) uncorked the mufflers, took the street tires off and ran easy 10.30s. The car was all steel and ran on the motor. It did not even yank the tires. 60's were in the 1.3 range.

Another racer went up to him and asked where the bottle was. The guy replied "Nitrous is for fa*s" Big blocks on juice that were trailered in were running slower than his car.

Not saying that Monza was the quickest car out there because it isn't, but it did not cost a fortune to build and was definitely the quickest car that drove through the gates. The guy is building a big block 70 chevelle now that will be in the single digits.

Tom

·
Banned
593 Posts
with 2.2 60' times i would say your hooking great......throw some more power to it...lol

seriously dude.....put our nose to the grindstone and get to work.....just cause you got horsepower dont mean squat.....it takes a complete car that all works together for et's to drop.
stop moaning and start testing.

·
Banned
593 Posts
BK's99 said:
They just are better drivers than most and they don't bitch about people who can afford to go fast.......Those who don't have the money to play should just sit and watch.......

thats the stupidest thing ive ever heard......"affording" to go fast....please.......
the guy just needs to get some seat time and play with his set-up...hes got the parts..theres just something off in the combo.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
combo, combo, combo..
I don't know the article you speak of but knowing how to make horsepower is not the same as knowing how to make it hook. How many people ever went to the track to ONLY run 60 ft times? We have. We go there to work on the chassis and suspension. When we do this we know it makes top end power but can't get the 60's where they should be so there is no need to run it out the back door. My guess is those people have tried a BUNCH of things and found what works for thier combo (or they lied:D)..

ks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes..........."affording" to go fast....I would say that 20 grand is a substantial amout of money wouldn't you......I sat in the grand stands for over 2 years pondering what to do with my ride...and while in those stands I listended to countless a$$holes talk about there car and how fas it was, but get them on the track and somehow there 600hp car wouldn't break into the 12's much less get out of the 13's......My first time I put my ride on the track I ran a blistering 13.67 at 96 mph....Those same a$$holes then wanted to talk about why my car was so slow and what I should do to make it faster(I didn't listen at all). To this day I have bought nothing but other peoples used parts I have about 9 grand tied up in my ride at the last test-n-tune at 75-80. I put all those idiots to shame when I blasted done the track to a 10.02 for the first pass and then to my best et of 9.51.............So I must say that I may have been ruff in my first post to that I will say "I am sorry" but I wanted to see if you were serious or just one of those a$$holes...sorry to all just venting....Johnyd you never said how much air you had in those tires..I run between 8-10 punds with MT28x10.5 on a 9 inch rim....I have some wheel spin but not much, but I leave really soft and let my supercharger pull at the top end.....:lol:

This is what I am talking about...

·
Registered
891 Posts
"12.2, 2.2, nothing but 2 long wide black streaks and lotsa smoke"

I would say this has something to do with it. A "good driver" as has been stated knows how to control power for best Et when traction is low. I don't see where 108MPH is equal to the HP you say you have also. Tells us more about what you do at the track and how the car is prepped and then maybe we can come up with an idea to try and improve things.

·
Registered
17,637 Posts
there could be some things that need to be done to the car,....

but, he probably needs more experience in drive-ing and shift-ing the car.

·
Registered
502 Posts
40 years of hot roddin and $20,000 wont get you out of the 12's??? Set up the chassis and put some real tires on it. DR's can hook but it takes more work. Get the 60's in the 1.3's where they should be and Im sure the car will run the numbers you want. If it doesnt, let someone else drive it.....................

Have you dyno'd the car? As others have said, 550hp and 108mph trap does not pan out. Maybe you need to do some serious tuning.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Kevin is right! It's all in the combo...and the driver. You have to test your 60's..get them down and the rest will come together. I do not run my car because I have not had time to set the rear and practice 60 footers. Kevin...expect a call from me this Spring.

Vito

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i'm just trying to compare apples to apples. my car is set up for daily driving, just like the mmff cars. stock kyb struts all around, 30 lbs. of air in the tires, big ole 1 1/2 sway bar up front. i drive this car every day all over the place. it's still got the ac, but it has been dynoed at over 540 hp. and it screams, ONCE IT GETS MOVING. i've burned up 2 sets of stock 285 tires and am working a set of drag radials. i test alot with a g meter which is darn accurate. it doesn't matter how i approach the start, the tires ALWAYS break loose big time, unless i ease down on the gas. by that time the 60' times are shot and so is the run. if i give it just a little gas, tires are up in smoke, and there goes the run again. i just don't get the times on these stock tired cars. that was the original ? i guess i'll just keep trying, and burn up some more dr's, lol.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Here is something else to think about. [email protected], moderator of this forum ran with 2 tenths I believe on street tires of what he did on Et streets, on his old blower combo. Once again a good driver knows how to control wheel spin. You also can't compare your g- meter times to a car driven on the track. I have done both and will do the same style start on the street as I do track, and will ALWAYS run slower on the street. You will be amazed at how how much that rubber on the launch pad at the track will help your ET.
You still haven't conviced any of us that you engine is making the 540hp you are claiming either though. With tire spin like you say your trap speed should be higher than if you hooked up hard, not to mention the g- meter is known for being on the high side.
Bottom line is you can't compare two time slips, much less a time slip vs g-meter unless both cars make a run at the same time at the same track. Too many variables to directly compare. Humidity, barometeric pressure, altitude, what day you went to the track on(ie a TNT day will likely have with few if any large tire cars running laying down lots of rubber) are examples. Only way to compare Apples to Apples, as you say, is to make a pass side by side with the car in question.

·
Registered
883 Posts
my mod N/A cobra has gone low 12's, and it's frustrating because I'm not getting the most out of it, I've got a list of a few things left to do, but have better places to put my money now.

I drive my car every day too. they'll do it, you just have to be patient and find what works. In the mean time, bitching about other people being faster makes you look like a tool.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Kevin....the phone will ring!

Johnny....I think I understand your frustration. You have to take what you read with a grain of salt. My car (88GT) is set to be a daily driver with 438 rwhp and 480 rwtq. The A/C is on, P/S, Pollution pump, etc. On street tires I can't hold third gear while rolling. It is pointless for me to run the car with street tires. With M&H Racemasters (junk) I run 12.40's over 118 mph with tire spin everywhere!

TC89LX (another Corral member) with the same setup as me ran much better numbers. I beleive he was in the low 11's to high 10's. WHY? Because he gets his car to hook! He now has a diferent combo ans so I can no longer use his car as a gauge. My car (with the correct suspension setup and proper driving) should run very low 11's almost effortlessly.

Those MM&FF articles are also taking advantage of very good marketing opportunities. If you read an article where someone's setup uses Trick Flow Heads...does this mean they are the best? It all goes back to the combo. THE BEST COMBO WILL GIVE THE BEST NUMBERS. THis is true for motors, trannies, and suspension. In order for me to achieve the best drag numbers from my car, I have made the decision to no longer make it a daily driver...not that it ever was. So goodby to the A/C, P/S, etc. I was told my car would never see HP #'s close to mine with an E-cam. They were wrong. I have more room to spare, but do not want to hurt my STOCK BOTTOM END.

Do not read too much! Get that car tuned the best you can....AND HOOK. you will not hook on street tires at 30lb. of pressure and you will not do it with 30lb. pressure in a slick. Too many factors play into this sport.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
that's the whole argument!!! those cars are supposedly street cars, just like mine. i just find it impssible to believe, IMHO, that a car can even do a miracle 1.6 60' time on street tires. in the same 5.0 mag in the back there's an article on big daddy. nhe is the king of drag radials. he does bumper thumping wheelstands and when you look in the dictionary under "hook" you see his smiling face... his 60' times are just a tad under 1.6. 1/8th at 142 mph. now, how can the these guys do it on stock tires??? you see it over and over. IMHO, i just don't hardly believe it. i've got his same tires on my car, and in a 100 tries, i can't even come close.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts