Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few years, I have been having problems with corrosion building up on the battery cables and terminals/connecters. I always clean them good, then give them a good coat of that red anti-corrosion spray, but it doesnt seem to work very well cause a couple weeks later, its back again and the car wont crank at all.

Is there a solution to this problem? Maybe something along the lines of a connecter that is sealed? What is everyone else using?

If you've got pics or ideas.... im listening.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I'm not sure why, but when I switched to my Optima battery I did not get any more corrosion.
Also if its garage kept I would think that would help.
And a battery disconnect switch to disconnect when not in use.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I think the battery is the problem. I had the same problem. I cleaned the terminals and replaced the wires. The battery was from K-Mart and was 3-4 years old. I replaced it with a Die Hard from Sears. I have had no more corrosion problems since.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Not all batteries are created equal. Most automotive batteries can be graded on a crap scale from 1-10. It just depends where they fall on the scale. From what I've seen most of the shopping-center brands are most prone to leaks, corrosion and low service life. These would be in the 8-10 zone. There are, of course, exceptions to every rule and occasionally a battery sneaks out of the manufacturer that's better than the rest of the batch which is why someone may ultimately reply to this post saying "my K-Mart battery works just fine."

You may want to try switching brands. Many people may argue this, but I've had good experiences with Interstate batteries. The Interstates I have used have not leaked or corroded to any great degree, although I regularly cleaned the terminals regardless if they needed to be cleaned.

I currently use the Optima Red Top and have had, as expected, zero problems. It's been 3 years and the terminals / cables look brand new.

I'm not sure why, but when I switched to my Optima battery I did not get any more corrosion.
This is because the Optima's use a higher quality case than traditional batteries and are 100% sealed so leaks and corrosion are 0. This is also the reason they can be mounted in any position, including upside down if you wanted to get crazy.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
12 mo free replacement, 36 mo prorated. Even an Optima won't last forever. Read everything on their website before deciding if the red top or yellow top is the right one for you. Blue tops are marine.
http://www.optimabatteries.com/

·
Registered
323 Posts
Do your cable ends have the factory plastic covers ? If not it may be worth a trip to your local pic-a-part to get some. Auto Zone sells the treated felt terminal pads for a buck. They also have small packets of clear dielectric grease. Those two items should help some.
I'm probably wrong but I think airflow around the top of the battery and the cap design have alot to do with this (with normal batteries, not gel cells).

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That Optima warranty doesnt sound all that bad considering everyone I know of that has one says its been going strong for 5+ years!

My current battery is a durr-start (or something like that) from wal-mart. Once every few weeks, the corrosion will come back and the car wont start until I take it all apart and clean the corrosion off. I'll try the dielectric grease idea and see how that helps. If it doesnt do anything, ill look into a Optima. However, I know ill probably be adding a new 130amp alternaot along with a Mark 8 fan, so I want to make sure everything will be compatible with each other.

And no, my connecters dont have the plastic over them.

·
Registered
216 Posts
ForcedAir91GT said:
Those felt thingys DO work.
I don't know how, but they actually do. Mine would corrode every week and cleaning with a wire brush would fix it, but doing that every or two week got old. I got a 99cent felt thingy and blam...no more corrosion.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
On a standard wet cell car battery, the only reason for corrosion to become present, is if the lead terminal post has become un- sealed from the battery case. This causes electrolite to seep up and corrode any metal in contact with it.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
When I cleaned my terminals and replaced the wires, I used the "felt-thingys" with dielectyric grease. I did not have any success. I must have had the red and green "felt thingys" on the wrong terminals. lol. Really, though, I did not have any sucess with them.

·
Registered
519 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
A cheaper alternative to stop the white build of corrosion is to spread a layer of vaseline on the posts and connectors. Coat them real good and should last a year. Works for me.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have always had good luck just using grease from a standard garage grease gun. Only problem is, now the battery cables want to slip off.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Never had problems with my Optima yellow top. My bro and I have had a lot of experience with the red and yellow tops.....the yellow top is a MUCH better battery, worth the extra $40-50.
Not saying the red top is bad, it's just that the yellow top can do just as much as the red performance wise PLUS some (being able to discharge umpteen times etc, if you discharge the red top once= garbage).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts