Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just what the subject says.. I was hoping there would be some instructions with these..

You guys have any suggestions, tips, tricks.. or tech articles that I can reference

by the way I have a 2003

·
Registered
108 Posts
This is how I did my buillit struts on my 98, I would imagine that the procedure for your car should be the same. Raise the front end and put it on jack stands, make sure to support by the frame so that the suspension is unloaded. Put a floor jack under the control arm and raise it slightly. There's two bolts that attach the strut to the steering knuckle, and 3 bolts that attach it to the strut tower, remove all of those make sure to support your brake rotor/caliper assembly so that they don't fall and rip off your brake lines. After removing all the bolts the struts should just slide out. Put the new ones back in and reassemble everything. Nothing particularly annoying.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would advise that you remove your brake caliper and use a coat hanger (or similar wire) to hang it to the frame of the car (to avoid stressing the brake lines) before removing the strut. Just jack up the a-arm slightly to loosen the top bolts. Next, slowly lower your floor jack under the a-arm to remove the strut.

Remember: SLOWLY lower the a-arm. Don't let the spring decompress under its own pressure. This could cause serious injuries/death and/or damage to your car if the thing "boings" out.

Also, you should torque the bolts to OEM spec. I just put the Cobra struts on my car. I had MM caster/camber plates so I had to remove the stock bushings and dust cover. The install was easy. Sorry, I don't have my manual here so I can't tell you the torque specs.

Good luck,

Norm

p.s.
Air tools make the install a lot easier...

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Highroller said:
Just what the subject says.. I was hoping there would be some instructions with these..
You really ought to invest the $15 in a Haynes or Chilton's manual for your car. It's in there. Or, if you've got broadband, grab a copy of the Ford CD from Stangnet.

·
Registered
595 Posts
thats funny

man ya missed it, they just showed this on car and driver on sunday doing a 98 struts shocks and sway bars :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts