Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, any techie's got a wiring scheme for me

i want to jam a stock AOD into a carbed 302
i had an AOD i blew up that had a non lockup converter in it and the converter is smoked

i can get transmissions all day less than 100 dollars

i just want to drive the car again, and maybe a few motor passes at the track.

How do i get the AOD to lock up and in what gears should i lock it up in?

thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ok, don't take this the wrong way but do you know ANYTHING about how the AOD works? It is a non electronic tranny..The electrical controls on it are the backup switch and the neutral safety switch...

The reason AOD trannies blow up is because of incorrect TV cable adjustment....If the TV cable is not adjusted correctly, the tranny will be starved for fluid and fry itself in short order...Without proper fluid pressure the tranny can die in less than 5 miles....This is no bull****.....Go to www.baumannengineering.com and find the information on the TV cable adjustment..This should be required reading for anyone running an AOD.....

·
15,477 Posts
Factory AOD will lock up in 3rd and 4th. They run of the inside input shaft. I don't know if it's electronically controled or not...if that's what you mean.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ranger7ltr,

I obviously do not know alot about the AOD hence the question, btw no offense taken

i do not have a stock tv adjustment since i have a holley carb and not an EFI intake. i have a lokar cable and i am familiar with the adjustment. the reason for my question is that i know that in my old camaro which had a 700R4 the lock up was electronically controled.

i dont want to go through the hassle of removal and reinstall just to find out i had to hook 12 volts to a switch and to power a solenoid to lock up in OD and smoke a perfectly good transmission.

thanks for trying to answer my question perhaps i worded it incorrectly and i apologise

·
Registered
615 Posts
you need a lentech valve body with overdrive lockout.. you drill a small hole in the tranny runn a wire out and hook it to a switch. easy as cake.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The Mustang started using an AODE transmission in 1994. The E is for electronic. The converter lockup, shifting patterns, etc. are controlled by the computer.
Prior to 94, the Mustangs used the AOD and everything, including overdrive & other shifting, as well as converter lockup are controlled by fluid/load pressure. You can get kits to control whether overdrive is available or not for the AOD, but not the converter lockup. When you install the overdrive-delete control, the electric switch merely takes away the ability of the tranny to shift to overdrive when 'on', but the shifting is still accomplished via fluid pressure/load.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts