Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does the tailpipe wideband O2 sensor actually measure? Does having or not having catalytic converters or the type of catalytic converters have any effect on the readings and why?

thanks.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I'm wondering this as well. I've had my o/r h for a year now without MIL eliminators. I took the light out of the dash but I'm wondering if the computer thinks the rear o2 aren't working and it making the car run rich.

John

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm wondering if the computer thinks the rear o2 aren't working and it making the car run rich.
The rear o2's have nothing to do with performance or driveability. They are simply their to tell the computer whether or not your converters are working. MIL emiminators fool the computer into thinking the converters are perfect working order. Thus, no check engine light. Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thanks, that was what I was thinking but not sure.

John

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
You can use a chip to turn off the rear efficiency sensors. Simply removing the SES light will not solve the problem.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will the A/F curves from a wideband O2 tailpipe sensor, be identical on the same car if ran with stock cats, aftermarket cats, and no cats? How?

I would think the curves would be different, but am not 100% sure. What exactly do wideband O2 tailpipe sensors detect?

thanks.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the answer to my question so obvious I am missing the point?

I ask because the A/F tailpipe method is used regularly as a important measurement tool when tuning. And if the having or not having cats makes a difference on the readings, then shouldn't the tune be altered?

I have already looked in archives for the answer and dyno jet's website. They do not indicate what exact compounds they sample or monitor.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I have heard conflicting info from several different tuners. I have been told by one that the truer A/F reading is done when using an O/R, then another said the difference is minimal and to him it isn't enough of a difference to worry about.

Sorta like which one is better, attaching a bung to your pipes, or sliding a big old stick up your pipes.

My gut feeling is, the A/F will be more accurate without cats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.