Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tranny has 122k miles on it im just wondering how do i know if this thing is done and needs to be replaced the tranny grinds sometimes when shifting into a gear and i cant put my finger on it but the tranny just doesnt feel the same anymore??

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
saleenmustang281 said:
The tranny has 122k miles on it im just wondering how do i know if this thing is done and needs to be replaced
Don't write it off to mileage alone. If it works, it doesn't absolutely need a rebuild. If it's grinding, you've probably got worn synchronizers. If you can live with the grind and it's minor, you could keep on chugging along. If it bothers you, you're justified in a rebuild. Keep in mind that it will usually cost around ~$1,000 to do the job. Aren't you trying to sell it? If so, don't sink more money into it. You'll NEVER get it back.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep i still am trying to sell it, my mind keeps going back and forth to sell it or to keep cause i have all these plans for it but then i want a 03 cobra, i figure drive it til summer then i should have enough to buy the 03 straight out, so thats why i ask if i might need the tranny rebuilt or replaced

·
Registered
560 Posts
Re: Re: How can you tell if your tranny needs a rebuild??

PhatDoggy said:
Don't write it off to mileage alone. If it works, it doesn't absolutely need a rebuild. If it's grinding, you've probably got worn synchronizers. If you can live with the grind and it's minor, you could keep on chugging along. If it bothers you, you're justified in a rebuild. Keep in mind that it will usually cost around ~$1,000 to do the job. Aren't you trying to sell it? If so, don't sink more money into it. You'll NEVER get it back.
You'll never sell it with a fugged up tranny either!

·
Registered
48 Posts
At 92k my T5 felt like it was slipping. At first I thought it was the clutch. As time went on the slipping became worse and eventually started making noise. A friend of mine and I did a tear down and discovered 3 or 4 teeth missing from the input shaft. I believe it started out at being 1 tooth and as time went on a few more broke off. Oh well, it was an excuse to buy a Tremec.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how do you like the tremec? and whered you get it at?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I like the Tremec a lot. It is a considerably beefier looking transmission than the T-5. I would have to estimate that is about 20 lbs heavier too. My engine is mostly stock now. I ordered it so later when I go over the engine the driveline is ready to handle the power. I ordered it form D & D Performance. They always have ads in MM & FF's. Their web site is www.ddperformance.com. I had to order a new bell housing and shifter for it also. Your old ones won't work. A friend of mine and I did the work ourselves. While we had the tranny out, we did the clutch, resurfaced the flywheel, replaced the rear main seal, and throwout bearing. It made sense to do all of that while it was out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts