Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would be able to afford this car and would love it, but the IRS is holding me back (It's either this or a Mach 1). I drove a 99 Cobra the other day, and the wheelhop almost killed me! :( :mad:

Has the IRS been beefed up a great deal, or would I still have wheelhop issues?

I heard once that "no traction = wheelhop". :lol: Well, the 03 Cobra won't have a lot of traction, so I hope that doesn't mean a lot of wheelhop. :confused: :( :mad:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
177 Posts
MM& FF says no HOP on 2003. Look in new issue for write up.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Ford has beefed-up the IRS. It's not the same as the 99 and 01. A ford dealer here in Orlando has a 03 Cobra. They put on a smaller pulley and ran 12.0x at 123 MPH. If anyone is interested in a 2000 Cobra R, a dealer in Orlando still has theirs. Seems like the 75,000 asking price was too much. They have dropped to 55,000 (MSRP). Still waaaaay too much for a two year old car with no air, back seat or stereo. Oh, the dealer with the Cobra R is Don Reid Ford in Maitland. They tried to sell it to a person in our Mustang club, he said nooooo waaaaaaay.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Should be interesting to see what they did to it to eliminate the wheelhop - I'd be willing to upgrade parts to the '03's to get rid of mine.

Wheelhop is scary.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ricks00Cobra said:
MM& FF says no HOP on 2003. Look in new issue for write up.
Oh ok, it must be true because MM&FF said so. :rolleyes:

I have read the new issue, but I am still skeptical. That's why I wanted to see what you guys think.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I bet it is going to be really bad. So in the interests of being a good mustang citizen, I am offering up my 8.8 solid rear as a trade for your IRS so you can drag race. ;)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Have they eliminated the hop? No, all IRS systems hop under the right conditions. Have they reduced it under certain road conditions? Everything seems to indicate that they have. But, change the tires, the springs, the dampers, and the conditions of the road and it will return in some form or another :).

·
Registered
180 Posts
Cri98GT said:
Oh ok, it must be true because MM&FF said so. :rolleyes:

I have read the new issue, but I am still skeptical. That's why I wanted to see what you guys think.
You don't believe MM&FF but you will believe people who have never driven the car. Sounds logical to me. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
treyGT said:
You don't believe MM&FF but you will believe people who have never driven the car. Sounds logical to me. :rolleyes:
I was looking for opinions out of people who have dealt with IRS, not just a 2003 Cobra. Maybe someone on here has been in one, how the hell do I know, that's why I asked. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Good heavens - get the MachI for chrissakes! That's exactly what I'd do. It's not quite what Ford should build, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

Wish they'd figure out to offer a stripped-down, normally aspirated solution with the 4V motor, 16" wheels, GT suspension, and a radio delete/vinyl floormat option.

The LX sedan used to be the answer, but of course you could drop a brick on the accelerator pedal in a 5.0 and it would rev to 6 grand, hit the limiter, and sit there stuttering and gibbering until it ran the gas tank dry. ... ..

A modular 4V wouldn't tolerate such abuse. Maybe that's why they don't build one.

Can't argue that what many people on here do to them is any better, but at least we remember to put oil in them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
First off all IRS suspensions in the right conditions will hop. My M3 will axle hop, and it has one of the most advanced IRS systems on the planet. That being said MM&FF always complained about the axle hop in the 99 and 01 Cobras, so if they say that they pretty much got a handle on the hop issue with the 03 I would tend to believe them. Hell, a 12.00 run on stock F1's wouldn't be possible if the car was hoppin all over the place, thats just a fact. Obviously the sticky 275 wide F1's are helping in this situation, as the hop is really only prevalent when you start to get incipient wheel spin. My M3 will hop if I hit some moisture and the tires start to break loose a little, it hops a tad. Lift for a second and back on the gas, no problem. Dave

1 - 13 of 13 Posts