Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '97 Cobra with 63,000 miles that is 98% stock (flowmaster mufflers make it sound like it should have from the factory and Eibach springs make it sit that way as well) and it has remained this way while I work on my 93GT. I am ready to make some changes and though. I did a search to look for the first/basic upgrades that provided results for other members and did not come up with anything.

Could we have a sticky where we can list the first and most basic upgrades as a starting point for these mysterious 4V cars?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not sure about the sticky,,, but go with these...

Steeda U/D pulleys
Steeda T/A
C&L intake/MAF with K&N
X pipe
cat back
chip...

these are a good start.

·
Registered
118 Posts
forget chip, get 4.30's

·
Registered
815 Posts
Gears
Shifter (do NOT skip this)
U/D Pullies
CAI + MAF
longtube headers
midpipe
chip - forget the T/A

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help.

It definitely needs a shifter and that's probably happening very soon. PRO 5.0

Is the X-pipe better than the H-pipe for these applications? It has always been an H-pipe for the pushrod cars.

How much pickup is seen from cold air induction and MAF?

I have Flowmasters currently. Would it be worth it to upgrade to a full catback exhaust? 2.5"?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
With Flowmasters, most people prefer the sound of them with an h-pipe, an x-pipe makes them sound kinda raspy like a can full of rocks...I know mine do...

·
Registered
787 Posts
Exhaust: If you're set on Flowmaster mufflers, just get an offroad H with mil eliminators. 2 1/4" flowtubes and catback are slight restrictions. Go with a full 2 1/2" catback and sell what you have.

Gears (a must): Go AT LEAST 4.30's. I had 4.10's and they're different, but they're kind of a 'tweener gear with the stock transmission gearing so go at least 4.30's.

Shifter (also a must): TriAx

Pulleys: Great mod. If you're going to eventually end up going forced induction, you'll also end up selling the pulleys. Take that into consideration.

IMRCs: Clean them immediately. With 63K miles on the clock, they're filthy and killing power. You'll feel a huge change in the driveability and feel of the motor. Do a search for the tech writeup.

Brakes: If you need to replace them (likely with that many miles on a mostly stock car), order the '99 Cobra Brembo replacement rotors from Tire Rack (~$65 each). They're less prone to warpage and cheaper than the '97 rotors. Change the fluid too.

Suspension: If you've gone to stiffer springs, get some better struts/shocks. Stiffer springs will sharply shorten the lifespan of stock dampers. Hint: you really get what you pay for when it comes to suspension parts. Quality is directly proportional to the amount of money you spend on your suspension, so don't go cheap or you'll regret it every time you get in your car.

EDIT: gwammar

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a ton. This is exactly why I was wondering if we could have a sticky or some sort of FAQ type post at the top to list all the basic and 'must do' upgrades. The board is pretty in depth technically and I have a lot to learn about working with my 4v to actually get results.

Keep em' coming if ya got em'.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I would say the very FIRST mod any mustang owner should do is Subframe connectors. SN95's need them nearly as bad as the Foxes. They make a world of difference to the handling of the car, especially with stiffer springs. Also, don't neglect traction; stickier tires and upper / lower control arms will help a good deal.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Wylde Horses said:
I would say the very FIRST mod any mustang owner should do is Subframe connectors. SN95's need them nearly as bad as the Foxes. They make a world of difference to the handling of the car, especially with stiffer springs....
Wylde is dead-on here. Subframes are a must for all Mustangs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts