Ford Mustang Forums banner
81 - 100 of 126 Posts

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
thats all good but what about the back of the bracket to the head?

I learned the hard way about poor alternator case grounds and the pro m efi. Not saying this is your problem but dont overlook it.
good call to check. It's 300 mOhm from alternator case to negative battery terminal, which is about as low as a DMM can reliably measure.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Fuel pressure status - maybe someone can tell me if this behavior seems right:

fuel pressure with vacuum port disconnected: 36 psi (which I realize is low-> I did set it at 38 initially).
vacuum = 16 in hg measured from store bought analog gauge
fuel pressure with vacuum port connected: 28 psi

· Registered
671 Posts
Fuel pressure status - maybe someone can tell me if this behavior seems right:

fuel pressure with vacuum port disconnected: 36 psi (which I realize is low-> I did set it at 38 initially).
vacuum = 16 in hg measured from store bought analog gauge
fuel pressure with vacuum port connected: 28 psi
Fuel pressure should be 39-40 with the vac line off. 38 is slightly low.

However, if vac is 16, then you should get an 8 psi drop with the vac line connected, which is what you have.

· Registered
4,031 Posts
set fp as per the instructions 40psi with the vac off. verify with another gauge if you can. I can't tell you the bs I went through with an old gauge.
16" of vac will read 32 on the reg that is set to 40psi. do this, check and adjust low slope, save, write, clear all adaptives.

pcv installed while driving is going to affect low slope that bank, even if there is no vac. find a away to vent without making a mess.

After all of this is out of the way, and finished, and verified, I have another check. But one thing at a time.

· Registered
671 Posts
Plummer is at my house at the moment. We're wondering how you're running this smoke test. Are you going in through the t-body? If not, are you blocking off the t-body as you pump in through a vac line?

· Registered
4,031 Posts
also I would like you to do another smoke test. this time remove the mass air meter and throttle body assembly and close off the hole with some painters tape. then pump the engine with smoke for about 15-20 mins. if you have a leaking, shifted intake gasket, you'll see it either coming out the top where the manifold meets or the bottom. if its coming out the bottom of the intake runner you will see smoke if you unseat the dizzy.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
also I would like you to do another smoke test. this time remove the mass air meter and throttle body assembly and close off the hole with some painters tape. then pump the engine with smoke for about 15-20 mins. if you have a leaking, shifted intake gasket, you'll see it either coming out the top where the manifold meets or the bottom. if its coming out the bottom of the intake runner you will see smoke if you unseat the dizzy.
Got it, will do. Similar to what I ran but only for about 5 minutes.

I made a plate with a gasket to block off the TB and pumped smoke through one of the NPT ports on the TB.

· Registered
4,031 Posts
Got it, will do. Similar to what I ran but only for about 5 minutes.

I made a plate with a gasket to block off the TB and pumped smoke through one of the NPT ports on the TB.
little confused. you blocked off the tb and the filled with smoke? how did the smoke reach the intake? maybe your wording is off. or im exhausted.

when i did mine, i have the 351 version, i cut a piece of plexiglass i had laying around, drilled a hole in the center with a grommet and bolted it to the intake. then i just pumped smoke into it.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
little confused. you blocked off the tb and the filled with smoke? how did the smoke reach the intake? maybe your wording is off. or im exhausted.

when i did mine, i have the 351 version, i cut a piece of plexiglass i had laying around, drilled a hole in the center with a grommet and bolted it to the intake. then i just pumped smoke into it.

With the MAF removed, using a flat plate with a gasket, I blocked off the top of the TB, so smoke would not drift past the throttle plates out of the TB. I hooked up the smoke tester hose to the NPT fittings on the TB, which are downstream of the throttle plates, and in the same air volume as the intake. So the smoke was being pumped directly into the intake basically.

· Registered
4,031 Posts
With the MAF removed, using a flat plate with a gasket, I blocked off the top of the TB, so smoke would not drift past the throttle plates out of the TB. I hooked up the smoke tester hose to the NPT fittings on the TB, which are downstream of the throttle plates, and in the same air volume as the intake. So the smoke was being pumped directly into the intake basically.
choice 2. im exhausted.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
Update - pulled manifold to look for leaks of any kind. I'm not seeing anything. Beautiful witness mark all around the gasket where the intake manifold compressed the gasket. The only surprise / disappointment was water is saturating the gasket and getting to the outer 4 bolts (near the water passages) and corroding them. Not enough to be a leak. Curious if anyone else notices anything. The rusty water passages are because i'm running 100% distilled for the first few hundred miles.

Automotive lighting Vehicle Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Building Font Automotive exterior Automotive lighting

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Bumper Motor vehicle Gas Automotive exterior Window

Circuit component Building Audio equipment Gas Facade

· Registered
93 Mustang Cobra #493 - Prestige Motorsports Built 363 - 865 hp / 730 ft-lb
24 Posts
Strange how the coloration is along the intake surface on both sides. Have you checked its flatness? It appears, just from looking here, that the inside was torqued more than the ends were. If it is out of flat, it might leak down into the engine crank / cam area and be an intake leak. From past experience, I have always added a small bead of black RTV around the intake ports on the side that doesn't have the blue gasket material to help seal the intake. I did this because my car is boosted and did not want any chance of leaking. Might help, might not for you.

· Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Strange how the coloration is along the intake surface on both sides. Have you checked its flatness? It appears, just from looking here, that the inside was torqued more than the ends were. If it is out of flat, it might leak down into the engine crank / cam area and be an intake leak. From past experience, I have always added a small bead of black RTV around the intake ports on the side that doesn't have the blue gasket material to help seal the intake. I did this because my car is boosted and did not want any chance of leaking. Might help, might not for you.
I’ll check the flatness with a straight edge- but my theory is the discoloration is the dye (or something else) in the gasket leeching into the aluminum surface from the water. The water is very clearly saturating the gasket paper. You can see the witness mark of the printoseal gasket material indicating there is good compression around the water ports.

81 - 100 of 126 Posts