Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They really do all tie in together---I have a '96 Cobra with 89,000 miles. I have decided to keep it, at least until I see what the 2004.5 stangs look like.

It has an exhaust manifold leaking at the head on the driver side, and since I am going to be in there anyway, I am really thinking about the upcoming 4.6 4V Hooker headers for this car. I was never interested in earlier pieces because you had to drop them to get to the tranny/clutch.

So. While I'm in there anyway (see a pattern here?) what about swapping in a tubular K member? I had the factory unit replaced under warranty at 71,000 so the control arms, bushings and ball joints ought to be OK (they replace all that as an assy with the K member). Not looking to make a track car out of this, just looking for less weight and more room for a car that sees Dallas potholes every day.

Last thing is for guys/gals running LTs and non stock cats in the DFW area. Lucky us, we now have real smog checks here, starting this month. Any issues yet with these pieces?

Thanks for any help,

Tim

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Tim,

I have the AJE K-member on my 96 cobra. Where I live, the roads are not the best. I had AJE add the extra "Road Racing Braces" for ZERO cost. Yep, they add them for free if you want. I looked at brands like D&D, UPR, etc and while they save just as much weight(or close to it), the A-arm tabs kinda scared me. They look to me like there would be plenty of flex under hard cornering or that they could get bent or break.

I didn't notice much change in Road noise, vibration or harshness UNTIL I added the MM C/C plates last weekend. The spherical bushings in the new plates pretty much transmit every bump, crack or pebble in the road that you drive over. :( Oh well, I am sure I will get used to it. All performance upgrades are a comprimise compared to stock... just keep that in mind(well except for nice new struts/shocks.... they make things nice and smooth).

I would buy the AJE K again if I were starting fresh. Plus it allows you to use the stock A-arms, Springs, struts, etc. Runs about $425 delivered directly from AJE, but I think you can get it cheaper if you buy it from Craig @ www.modernperformancenw.com At least I think that is the right address.

Hope that helps. (Shaves about 32lbs off compared to the stock unit.)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply blue88. Looks like the AJE ought to be on the short list for K members, especially since it allows me to use the stock parts (struts are Tokico adjustables). Like I said, really just looking for the extra room for headers. The drop in weight off the nose of the car and any handling benefits are just icing on the cake.

Still looking for feedback from long tube header users getting their cars inspected in the smoggiest Texas counties---don't expect much feedback from 4V Hooker header users since they appear to be vaporware for right now.

Tim

·
Registered
213 Posts
Tim: Have you posted this over on DFWStangs.net That might get you a answer. From what I have read, most of the guys went and got theirs inspected before the 1st of the month so as not to have to deal with it yet.

Bud

·
Registered
410 Posts
I am researching the same exact topics.
Hooker headers, cats, Kmember and control arms.
Except I actually am thinking since I have that much apart, let's replace the engine too. Who knows, but I am certainly interested in the above mods.

Hooker headers are not available according to SHM, that stinks.

Kmember & control arm list:
-griggs $1,100
-d&d $700
-aje $700 -chrome $1,000
-upr $700 -includes chrome moly and coilover conversion

blue88mustang,

so you didn't get the control arms?
would you get them if you did it again?

more input on this would be helpful.
thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[bud4660 wrote]Tim: Have you posted this over on DFWStangs.net That might get you a answer. From what I have read, most of the guys went and got theirs inspected before the 1st of the month so as not to have to deal with it yet. [/QUOTE]

Bud, funny you mention that, my car was up in May and I went ahead and did the inspection in April. Thanks for the heads up on DFWStangs, I'll check them out. I also bought Alex Peper's OBD-II cable to clear out a pesky mil before I brought it in for inspection. Now I know it is a P2443 and I can throw a purge solenoid at it and see if it fixes it.

[highmiles wrote]Hooker headers are not available according to SHM, that stinks. [/QUOTE]

Yeah, from searching this board it looks like they are trying to make them as close to perfect fit as possible before releasing them and that's why the hangup. Guess that isn't all bad, but I'd like to get this leaking manifold fixed NOW!

Tim

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts