Ford Mustang Forums banner

Hooker Header Question?

1K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  calwyglfer 
#1 ·
I have decided to go with Hooker LTs and their matching x-pipe. I am also going to replace stock catback with a Magnaflow catback.

I have researched these headers a bunch and have not found anything negative (nothing to serious anyway) about them. I have a question for all you people with the Hooker LTs before I take the plunge. Has anybody had any problems with these headers causing your engine to use oil or any other serious problems to speak of? Right now my motor has 14000 miles on it and oil is full when changed every 3000.

Thanks.

#4 ·
I believe about $750 seems to be the going rate for a quality professional installation. When I found this out, I decided that was too much and I'd just do it myself. Well, 13 hours into the install, I still couldn't get the driver header to install, so I had to put the kmember back under the car with only the passenger header in, and have it towed to a local shop for them to finish the job for me. The worst part about it was I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I had the car on a lift at a friend's garage, and I even had dropped the kmember. Even so, I couldn't get that damned driver header to line up. I still don't know how they did it at the shop I took it to.

Anyway, unless you've got access to all the same equipment I did, and are willing to spend AT LEAST two full days on this project, I'd say just suck it up, pay the $750, and be done with it...

#5 ·
The Hooker's are great! You'll love the sound too. I will have to agree that you will want a quality install. They will make sure you don't have any leaks. Make sure you get the Ford header gaskets. The cost about $15 from Ford. I have a friend who is a Ford mechanic who suggested not to use the gaskets provided by Hooker.

William

#6 ·
I was quoted 650.00 from one shop and 720.00 from another. Both are reputable. No way I would attempt this install myself.

Anybody else with hookers? Let me know what you think of them. What kind of gains?

Thanks

#7 ·
I have them, I like them for the most part.

I have a small exhaust leak that I've been letting go for a while so that I'll be able to see exactly where it is at before fixing it.

My biggest complaint with the hookers is that the exhaust is a slip fit connection, rather than a three bolt flange. which may make things really be a pain in the arse when swapping out a transmission.

the install isn't difficult, but it isn't impossible, you guys that are saying that it is impossible simply aren't very dedicated.

I did "customize" a wrench, by bending it into a "sideways 'U'" shape to get to a few of the bolts better. I believe a set of crowfoot wrenches would make things easier too.

#8 ·
I have the exact same ehaust set up...I think you will love them..Just as long as you are not replacing the K member at the same time...I did a UPR kmember kit when I did my headers install. Major pain in the ass. Had to bsaically refab my k member to make it fit around the longtubes. (pisspoor design on UPR's side)

Also, the steering shaft will run through the header on the drivers side on the install. Just a heads up!

Good luck.

#9 ·
98blackfangz said:
I was quoted 650.00 from one shop and 720.00 from another. Both are reputable. No way I would attempt this install myself.
WOW! :eek: is that Just the install?

Man I am in the wrong business... Im doing mine in the good 'ol garage, on the good 'ol jackstands, with the K member pulled.

Screw paying that kind of coin for something I can accomplish myself.... It may take a week but its winter and I got nothing but time.

#10 ·
I did mine myself( with the help of Highlander) but we did a complete motor swap along with the K member and headers.

Maybe we should start our own shop :)

#11 ·
I have them and love them with no problems at all.:joy: They sound great along with my Bassani catted x-pipe and catback.

#13 ·
Don't be afraid of the install. I did it with jack stands under the carport dropping the k-member. Just don't be in a hurry about it.

No way that I would pay someone that kind of money to put them on. But, then again, I don't let them align my front end without letting me go in the garage with them.

The only problems that I had was getting the x-pipe on and that was my fault. (long story)

I used Ford gaskets, Hooker bolts. I bought a cheap 1/2" wrench and took a chop saw and cut it in half.

Also I have pulled my transmission out twice since I put them on and THANK GOD THAT I DID NOT BUY BBK!

#15 ·
I would love to install them myself but I feel that I am not experienced enough as a mechanic to tackle the operation.

I do however have access to a four point lift at the auto hobby shop we have here. They have all the tools you need plus people to help you with any question you have. Plus it is only 8 dollars a day! Benefit of being in the military.

Do you guys think is possible for someone as inexperienced as me to tackle the operation with access to a lift? How long would it take? I have a couple friends that could help but they wouldn't know what they are doing either. (all used to working on older hot rods.)

#16 ·
I used a jack and jack stands to support the motor/trans around where the bellhousing and oil pan are. I place a 2x4 between the jack/jack stands and the motor/trans. Others say to use a strap of some sorts between the strut towers, but I didn't have anything to work with that.

Do you guys think is possible for someone as inexperienced as me to tackle the operation with access to a lift? How long would it take? I have a couple friends that could help but they wouldn't know what they are doing either.
How inexperienced is inexperienced?

#17 ·
I would be the first job of this magnitude that I have ever attemped. The only thing I have even done by myself is the installation of my UPR powerpipe and PRO M maf.

#19 ·
So are you able to pull the trans with the long tubes in place? Also, if you install these long tubes, what else should you do to make it worth your time while the stock K-member is in place?
Yes, I have pulled my tranny twice with the longtubes in place.

I am guessing that you meant while the k-member is out in the second question. There isn't really anything that I can think of. I cleaned all the oil buildup off of the rack and pinion.

98blackfangz, I don't think that there would be anything that you could really hurt or do wrong, but you want to make sure that you do it right so you don't have to do it again b/c of leaks. And you have to be careful not to hurt yourself.

#22 ·
Does anyone else have a clearance problem with your Hooker X-pipe on the passenger side transmission crossmember? The driver side pipe passes directly through the center of the hump and has the maximum available clearance. The passenger side, however, nearly rests on the outside edge of the hump and offers little or no clearance. This isn't really a problem with the X-pipe, but I'm trying to figure out how to quiet the car down a bit and I'm thinking of having some cats fab'd in.

Who's got the Hooker longtubes with cats? I know someone on here does, but I can't search for it...for some reason my searches always bomb out.

#23 ·
OnceBitten said:
Does anyone else have a clearance problem with your Hooker X-pipe on the passenger side transmission crossmember? The driver side pipe passes directly through the center of the hump and has the maximum available clearance. The passenger side, however, nearly rests on the outside edge of the hump and offers little or no clearance. This isn't really a problem with the X-pipe, but I'm trying to figure out how to quiet the car down a bit and I'm thinking of having some cats fab'd in.

Who's got the Hooker longtubes with cats? I know someone on here does, but I can't search for it...for some reason my searches always bomb out.
I think you may be refering to me, here are some pics for you.

That was a Bassani x-pipe with cats cut down to fit the hookers. Along with the Bassani catback the sound is awsome!:joy:

#24 ·
calwyglfer: Thanks for the pics. That's pretty much what I was looking for. How loud is the car with the Bassani setup on it (in relation to stock)? I absolutely must get my car as close to stock noise levels as possible, while still retaining my longtubes. What do you think a cut down Bassani pipe would sound like with the stock catback?

#25 ·
OnceBitten said:
calwyglfer: Thanks for the pics. That's pretty much what I was looking for. How loud is the car with the Bassani setup on it (in relation to stock)? I absolutely must get my car as close to stock noise levels as possible, while still retaining my longtubes. What do you think a cut down Bassani pipe would sound like with the stock catback?
Well with the stock catback you should be really quite. My exhaust is pretty quite until i go full throtle, then it's loud. You will be slightly loader than stock due to only having 2 cats, but it shouldn't be to far from stock. Nice sleeper:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.