Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for opinions here... the fiberglass broke around my hood latch on my Cobra R hood and it's been popping up.

So I got some el-cheapo Mr. Gasket hood pins and am installing them.

They'll be nice and safe, good peace of mind. But I'm concerned they look a little tacky (overkill) on a 12-13 sec street car. I'm thinking of just putting back on the stock hood and latch.

However, if I remove the hood latch (as shown in image), it really frees up the airflow path to my radiator, which is good. And if I paint the spot where it was, it'll look clean.

I think for sure I'll get rid of the hairpin clips and get a torsen clip (circular ring) instead.

I may put a black circular piece of metal on instead of the chrome ones.

To install the pins, I removed the factory rubber snubs and put the pin in their slot. I plan on putting some rubber grommets around the pins to set the height of the hood based on someone else's suggestion on this board.

Let me know your thoughts!

PS: Pardon the grime... there's fiberglass and dust all over the car.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
John, the only thing wrong with hood pins on a 12-13 sec. car, is not having them!

Aftermarket hoods are not gauranteed to stay latched. The pins look fine. Don't sweat it.

And yes to the rubber grommets on the pins. I suggested that a while ago, after the install of mine.

Good job.
joe

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I think they look good on both cars. I've considered them on my car well.

Ed

·
Registered
430 Posts
One of the vendors makes anodized pins. You could probably get them in black... which would make them less noticable.

The thing I hate is the cords on the pins. After time, they will scratch the paint. I don't use them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think they look fine. And you can't beat the peace of mind knowing your hood won't fly up when you're flying down the drag strip. Also, consider a few pounds of weight removal by removing the entire hood release assembly, latch, handle, cable, etc.

·
Registered
410 Posts
are the cables coated?
any noise from the cables flapping around?
are there different size cotter pins or hood pins that are better then the el cheapo as stated?

my concern would be scratching the hood or noise from cruising at a high rate of speed. I have wind streaks/burns a day after washing the car from my highway driving.

i think they look good, and serve a purpose, especially with a aftermarket hood.
my stock hood moves all the time when cruising. thinking about them myself.

keep them IMO.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Can you leave the normal hood latch on or does that not work well with the hood pins, especially since you have to drop the hood from 6inches to get the latch to close??

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
highmiles said:
Can you leave the normal hood latch on or does that not work well with the hood pins, especially since you have to drop the hood from 6inches to get the latch to close??
You can leave the hood latch on... I took it off since there was nothing left of the fiberglass for it to grab, so it was useless, plus it makes shutting the hood tougher since you have to watch out for it, plus maybe I save a pound or two removing the latch, plus it will look "cleaner".

Everyone else, thanks for the positive comments, I feel much better about these now.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Looks good! But I am biased as I have them on my Cobra too!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The lanyards are coated with a clear rubber coating. and the lead crimps are coated also. There is NO scratching, and there is no marking from the cables. They are thick/stiff enough that they do not flap around from air turbulence.

They have been on the car for 3 months now, and there is no ill effects to date.

good luck,
joe

·
Registered
410 Posts
What manufacturer did you buy, part#, where and how much?
I want quality ones, not cheapo.

They will go on stock hood and I will be leaving the stock latch for extra safety.

thanks.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The only concern I have is security. If you’re not using a remote hood release, what’s to prevent some jerk from pulling your hood pins, stealing your battery, plug wires, chrome oil cap, etc.,

I’ve seen some that don’t use pins (or require lanyards). They have a flush mounted screw you turn to release the lock. I wonder if anybody makes something like that except where you have to insert/turn a key to release it?

Chris

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just got a pair of FMS stainless pins for my 85 GT and I noticed that the pins are much larger in diameter than the studs for the hood stops. Do I have to drill out the threaded section for the hood stops in order to put my pins in that location or am I supposed to do it some other way? Any and all suggestions very much appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
436 Posts
chrisr said:
The only concern I have is security. If you’re not using a remote hood release, what’s to prevent some jerk from pulling your hood pins, stealing your battery, plug wires, chrome oil cap, etc.,

I’ve seen some that don’t use pins (or require lanyards). They have a flush mounted screw you turn to release the lock. I wonder if anybody makes something like that except where you have to insert/turn a key to release it?

Chris
I put a pad-lock through my pins at nite as a back-up plan!

·
Registered
192 Posts
When is it a good idea to get hood pins on an aftermarket hood? It sounds like 12 secs. or less sounds good for the strip, but should you get them when you get the hood if it's a daily driver?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts