Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never ported anything before but I'm thinking it cant be that hard at all. i was wanting to port my intake some until I can afford and aftermarket one. I probably wouldnt be able to port the upper but couldnt I do the lower or am i wrong? Also how do you port, I know of those home porting kits.. do you just start grinding away or do I need to do a gasket match or something? Im basically lost as you can probably tell!

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
If you are dead set on doing this, I would get a 'junk' intake to practice on first. Porting is more of an art form, then just grinding away. You can actually make an intake flow worse by over porting and porting in the wrong spots. You really have to know what your doing, rather than just 'hogging it out'.

But like I was saying, get an old intake to practice on. I'm sure there are lots of stock intakes lying around peoples garages, that they will give to you for free or practically free. Run a "Wanted" add in the Windsor for sale forum. Someone might 'give' you one, if you pay for shipping. Port the old one, then get some people's opinion about your work. Then when you get a little practice under your belt, you can port your original one.

The down side of this is that, even a stock intake with proper maximum port work done to it, is still not going to flow as well as an out of the box aftermarket one.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
well to do the best, you will have to cut open the upper then have it weleded back together

1 - 3 of 3 Posts