Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
How about I go w/ the Holly Systemax II kit rather than a Trick Flow combo I'd have to figure out? What cam can I go w/ rather than the one in the Holly Systemax II kit so I can get more power in the lower RPM? Thanks for anyhelp. I'm wanting as much HP as I can get out of this :) I plan on adding a Novi1000 later.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What cam! lol hehe My car is a street driven car, so I want most of my power to be 3000-5000+ rpm I suppose.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
My old combo was 302ci 8.8:1comp, Holley kit, AFM N-61 cam, 30# inj, 75mm TB, 80mm MAF 4" AFM PP, full exha nd suspension but only 3:73 rear gear. On 11.5" ET STREETS the car went 11.8 @ 115.8mph 1.64 60ft If I had the recommended gear "4:30" I know it would have went 11.50's or quicker I was only trapping 5150ish through the traps.

I was very happy with the Holley kit, that motor with a different cam in now in my buddies 88 with a A-Trim, still runs great. I am sure you could build a better combo but for the price it is hard to beat...the newer style heads are very nice and flow better then a AFR 165 but not quite a AFR 185, but flow numbers are just flow numbers.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So how could I get a Trick Flow combo to be better than the Holly kit? What rocker arms, push rods, will I have to worry about valve to piston clearance, etc. I don't want to fly-cut my pistons either. What, in your mind, would be the best combo w/ Trick Flow?

-TW heads
-Trick Flow upper lower
-What rocker arm?
-What cam for my AOD'd car that is mainly street driven
-What pushrods would be the best?
-What size injectors? etc

Thanks for any help you can provide :)

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Well I have seen the Holley kit (complete) put out the advertised 300RWHP (350FWHP) and have seen some TFS set-ups dyno less, I think there is a thread floating around right now on a TFS set-up with like 265RWHP.

If you don't want to fly cut your pistons a inline type head would be better since you could get more aggressive on the cam.

If you go with the TFS heads I would go to a Performer or Performer RPMII (depending on what you want from the car)
-Custom cam (would need to work with stock reliefs)
-TFS chrome-moly pushrods are very nice
-Scorpion Rockers
-24-30# depending on what you want from the car, how high you want to rev it, etc....

I wouldn't count the Holley kit out, it still will make great power but the cam could be better even though they have revised it a little to make it more streetable. 30#, 70mm-75mmTB, 80mm Pro-M, 3:73+ gear depending on what cam and converter you will have. I see in your sig you mention a possble blower in the future, the Holley intake is hard to beat on a blower car.

My car had 330-340RWHP on the motor and about 450RWHP on a 175 shot.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

So I won't have to flycut the pistons if I go w/ the Holly system? Thanks

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
dont get me wrong but unless you are going blower/high rpms/big cubes IMO i dont think the trick flow heads are the right choice..i would go with something more like the AFR's, system max, Elderbock(smaller than a vic jr)

·
Registered
100 Posts
smile

guys i have the tfs setup and after 3000 rpm it pulls like a mother ****** i realy like it ,

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Re: smile

DAR89LX said:
guys i have the tfs setup and after 3000 rpm it pulls like a mother ****** i realy like it ,
Me too....our setups are almost the same with the exception of the cam....numbers in the sig.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts