Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got this beast of an intake on my 331. This bulky upper plenum has some clearance issues with my driver's valve cover. I had to use a short valve cover gasket just to allow the upper to seat properly. The motor just screams now ( a little test drive up and down my street, neighbors hate me). By next Tuesday I should have some dyno #'s, but I won't be able to race it for a few weeks. :( I hope to better my new best time of 11.30 @ 122 mph, made with the old Edelbrock RPM intake. I wish you guys could hear this baby run! Now this Holley has the cross sectional area neccessary to support the flow of these heads. I will be looking for some 124-125 mph trap speeds with the latest mod's- Holley intake, Meziere water pump,and 3" exhaust.

Can't wait to do the 3" exhaust upgrade. Btw, after talking with Tooley re: 3" collectors and X-pipe, he recommended mufflers and flow tubes to match, as well. This restriction is thought to be holding me back from 400+ rwhp and 6,000+ rpm also. By the end of this month it will all be said and done. No more guess work!

:joy:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds great! I look forward to hearing both dyno and especially track results. How has your powerband changed?

Later,
Kyle
'93 Cobra #1058

·
Registered
135 Posts
good news, you coming out tonight? which 3" exhaust are you going to run? btw, i'm looking for a 3" exhaust setup that will work with the bbk 1 3/4 long tube.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will definitely keep this board posted of results. Last couple dyno reports were not what I was expecting, so I'm due for positive results, hopefully.

Loi,
I will most likely go with Dr Gas 3" X-pipe and ? collector. I need to find out where I can get a good quality merge collector in 3". I'm not sure on which mufflers either. What do you have in mind?

Andy

·
Registered
556 Posts
is that a box stock systemax on TEA tw's? i hope not

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Hey Andy,
Glad you finally got it all back together. I'm anxious to see the new numbers on Tuesday. Can you feel a BIG SOTP difference with the Holley?? I know about the neighbor thing........we have some aggitated neighbors here as well :D
Good Luck at the DYNO!!! Hope you hit that magic 400 mark!! Wayne.

·
Registered
682 Posts
He's going to hit his 400rwhp before 5500 RPM. My guess is 5400 RPM.

RWTQ should drop a bit with this, but the tq curve should shift over to the right be a good amount. I don't think the hp curve will still be climbing strong from 5500 to 6500, it will flatten out.

Perhaps another 20rwhp in that range though.

With the vic 5.0 he would've been up 50rwhp from 5500 to 6500.

Definately try the 1.7 intake rockers out. There must be somoene on the corral that can loan them to you.

Reason for not specining 3" full exhaust is sound and also after the X pipe, you basically are simulating a single exhaust of about 4" cross section which is good enough for the power level you are running.

If you can a full 3" will be nice, make sure a straight thru muffler such as race magnum

·
Registered
194 Posts
How does the car drive when you are just drive sanely around town? My understanding was that Stage 3 anything heads have such poor low RPM flow that it has no torque and is not very driveable. Can you comment on this?

Beau

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Holley is just out of box stock, aside from gasket matched port openings on the lower and 75 mm TB opening of upper. My SOTP meter sucks! I can't tell really since I don't drive it everyday like I do my Lightning. I will say that it pulls like a MOFO, but it did before too. As for normal driving manners, it idles rock steady at 1,000 rpm (sounds meaner than $#!^) and hell..... it makes peak tq at 3,900 rpm (407 rwtq) and I run 4.30 gears on 28X10.5 slicks, so don't think I can't jump from a rolling start in lower gears! This baby outright flys!

Wayne,
How's it going? I hope you like the RPM intake, I sure did. It got me into the low 11's, now I'll be heading for 10's N/A.

Maybe after this summer, I'll consider the TEA 205cc TW Renegade heads with Victor 5.0 and a custom cam (again). I'd love to say I can do it with less, so here goes.

Andy

·
Registered
682 Posts
If your dyno #'s are on the slicks, then you probably are showing 10-20rwhp alone from the slicks.

Does the SOTP say it falls off on power earlier or later?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BigDaddy LTD LX,

I was bored the other day, so I decided to measure the inlet pipe opening at the throttle body. It measured 2.740" in diameter. The 75mm TB measures ~3.000". How will this affect my power/tq if any by having the missmatch going from small to bigger for the throttle opening? I plan to fix this in next couple of weeks, anyways.

Andy

·
Registered
273 Posts
Glad to hear you like the intake. I am about to put mine on too. I am using Canfields though. Excited to see how it does.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I don't know how this going to affect you. But it can't be doing good, currently your 75mm tb is a nil point until you get that inlet tubing fixed.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BigDaddy LTD LX,

Yes, I did have a double hump peak tq, with the second peak at ~ 4,800-4,900, but lower tq (387.6 rwtq). There is a big dip between the two peaks. While I was testing at the track, I noticed that the lower launch rpm's than I'm used to were the most effective in lowering my 60' times. The best for the day was at 4,600 rpms, which netted a 1.52 60'. I started out at 5,000 rpm's launching and dropped 100 rpm every pass after that for a total of 5 passes and the 5th being the best= 11.30 @ 122 mph.

As for the inlet tube, I'll re-dynotune after all the little things are worked out this month: Holley intke, lifters, inlet tube, 3" exhaust and collectors, and electric water pump.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Can't wait for your results. I'll predict 410rwhp/402rwtq. Actually I'd say the intake alone should provide that. With 3" exh, elect water pump, and that inlet restriction fixed I'd say 420rwhp is possible. Good Luck!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
BigMike,

I've found that shifting at 6,100 rpm gave me the best results in ET so far. Of course that is with the motor making peak HP at 5,800 rpm. Now, I'm hoping to get the rpm that this cam is supposed to run with my TW's. When I say supposed rpm, I am referring to the duration being 240 intake/ 244 exhaust @ .050" ( or 293/297 duration at .006" tappet lift) and 110 lobe speration.

I guess that's why I'm so gung ho on these dyno sessions, because I can see what the motor is doing at what rpm to better help me in finding the best launch and shift points. On my last trip to carlsbad, I ran a best of 11.30, but was running out of power before the end of the track with 4.30 gears and only making power to 5,800 rpm. I think I was around 6,300 rpm going trough the traps, and this is with a 28" tall tire. I will be watching this MUCH more closely on my next trip to the strip! Btw, I run a Tremec 3550 with original gearset ratio.

Andy

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BigMike,

I've found that shifting at 6,100 rpm gave me the best results in ET so far. Of course that is with the motor making peak HP at 5,800 rpm. Now, I'm hoping to get the rpm that this cam is supposed to run with my TW's. When I say supposed rpm, I am referring to the duration being 240 intake/ 244 exhaust @ .050" ( or 293/297 duration at .006" tappet lift) and 110 lobe speration.

I guess that's why I'm so gung ho on these dyno sessions, because I can see what the motor is doing at what rpm to better help me in finding the best launch and shift points. On my last trip to carlsbad, I ran a best of 11.30, but was running out of power before the end of the track with 4.30 gears and only making power to 5,800 rpm. I think I was around 6,300 rpm going trough the traps, and this is with a 28" tall tire. I will be watching this MUCH more closely on my next trip to the strip! Btw, I run a Tremec 3550 with original gearset ratio.

PS- I hope I didn't double post this. If so, sorry.
Andy:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
682 Posts
THink about it, you have heads that flow 300CFM basically at a reasonable lift.

You have a high duration cam. The lift on cam not great, but can be helped with the 1.7's. I think you have a 450rwhp setup under covers right now.

Just getting the supporting cast together and everything tuned right will bring some very nice results.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts