Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to get a Holley high ram intake (the one with the throttle body in the front). My question is The Holley systemax able to compete with the Holley high ram. My motor setup is a 347 with a ysi trim blower. I currently have the systemax but didn’t know if it was worth the change for performance gain if there would be any.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
i don't know anybody running one, but think your your desired power level will dictate which intake to run. if you are looking for 600-700, your systemax will be fine. if you really want to turn it up to max the ysi, the high ram is going to be the intake.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i don't know anybody running one, but think your your desired power level will dictate which intake to run. if you are looking for 600-700, your systemax will be fine. if you really want to turn it up to max the ysi, the high ram is going to be the intake.
Hopefully make 800 or maybe a little over when it’s all said and done

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Are you running an intercooler on the ysi?
The systemax stock?

The High Ram is designed for an even bigger TB than the TFS Box R right?
It’s negligibly bigger for the 95mm version. The 105mm opening version is a decent bit larger.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Yes there is an intercooler and the systemax hasn’t been touched porting wise.
I’d really consider sending the systemax out to get ported. It’ll definitely be a little easier, depending on how your current charge piping is configured - like if it’s already welded with v bands or clamshell clamps.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I’d really consider sending the systemax out to get ported. It’ll definitely be a little easier, depending on how your current charge piping is configured - like if it’s already welded with v bands or clamshell clamps.
As the car sits it doesn’t have any charge piping hooked up. Just have the inter cooler mocked up. So it wouldn’t be a hassle to swap it out.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Are there any 302 intakes that handle a moderate 351-408? Using intake spacers to make them fit? Something low-mid rpm range for a truck?

Hearing the Systemax can handle a up to 600 is interesting. The lack of 351w intakes is always an issue. Other than Trickflow R and High Ram, and Edelbrock Performer. Just curious if anything would be worth adapting 302 intake to 351

·
Registered
358 Posts
I ran a big bore 347 (4.125 x 3.25) 9.3 compression, Non-Intercooled YSi, Edelbrock Vr Jr Fox Lake Renegade Heads, Systemax II port and flow matched (not ported) to the heads. 75mm throttle body and custom hydro cam (not crazy specs)

Power maxed out at 6400 at 800RW on DynoJet with stick trans in street trim, 825 in track trim.

The SystemMax II can carry you well into the 800’s RW with little or no work. With an intercooled setup, ported inlet and a bigger TB on the Systemax II. you could get to 1000RW.

Reactions: q6543

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ran a big bore 347 (4.125 x 3.25) 9.3 compression, Non-Intercooled YSi, Edelbrock Vr Jr Fox Lake Renegade Heads, Systemax II port and flow matched (not ported) to the heads. 75mm throttle body and custom hydro cam (not crazy specs)

Power maxed out at 6400 at 800RW on DynoJet with stick trans in street trim, 825 in track trim.

The SystemMax II can carry you well into the 800’s RW with little or no work. With an intercooled setup, ported inlet and a bigger TB on the Systemax II. you could get to 1000RW.
That’s pretty impressive. What trans setup did you have?

·
Registered
358 Posts
That’s pretty impressive. What trans setup did you have?
TKO then TKO-600. Car now Has T-56, but if TKX existed at the time that would have been the trans.

If you want to race, go really fast and win, put an automatic in it.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Hood Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold

Hood Motor vehicle Yellow Rim Automotive exterior

Reactions: q6543

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
13 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong but I feel like with intakes you can go two routes: super victor/Holley high ram/ TFS Box R and they all make more or less the same power Or you go crazy high end like a Hogan Sheet Metal, no?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Between the tko600 vs the t56 which did you like more? And yeah I’ve contemplated swapping to an auto but haven’t fully decided what to do yet
I swapped from the 3550-TKO to TKO-600 as my power increase because I needed a higher first gear. The TKO-600 is a piece of junk and will not shift at high RPM (had all the Liberty and Hanlon mods done, still sucked). The T56 T6060 and Magnum (basically same trans) are wonderful transmissions and shift like butter, but they are heavy. You now have a better choice which is the TKX. Light like the TKO series with the high RPM shifting capability of the T-56 series.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong but I feel like with intakes you can go two routes: super victor/Holley high ram/ TFS Box R and they all make more or less the same power Or you go crazy high end like a Hogan Sheet Metal, no?
Not Correct. Intakes "generally" fall into 3 basic categories, box style, short runner and long runner. Generally box style intakes will make power in higher RPM ranges, short runner intakes will make power starting in the mid range and carrying to the higher ranges, and longer runner intakes will make more power starting earlier and not carrying as far up in the RPM range.

These are generalizations and there are ALOT of other factors that play into power production of each type, group or individual intake. Things such as specific runner length, port size and shape, heads, cam, if they are "worked on" and if you have a power adder or not and what type of power adder. For example a stock 5.0, Cobra, GT40 and Holley Systemax are all considered long runner intakes and are good for low to mid range power and torque, but they all flow very differently.

I used a lightly ported Cobra intake when my car was making 550 to 600 RWHP. RPM range was 2500 to 6000.

I switched to an EFI Spyder, (today's equivalent of an Edelbrock 29245), gained RPM and power at the top end, but lost power in the low and mid range and torque across the entire RPM range.

I switched to a stock Systemax II and made more power and torque across the entire RPM range, but at the time I was only running that combo to 6200 RPM (327 with lower compression, different cam and YS). However you can see for that combo and RPM range in a street / strip car where low and mid range are very important, the Holley was a better intake across the board.

EFI Spyder With YS *** VS ** Systemax II With YS
Font Pattern Symmetry Number Monochrome
Font Pattern Number Symmetry Parallel

Reactions: Shaker666

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Have no problems with my TKO600. None. It's notchy, but otherwise fine. That said, if TKX had been an option when I got it that's the path I would have taken. I do not believe that even a medium powered V8 needs more than 5 gears. Most of the time I only use 4 of them in my car. I skip 4th quite a bit.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Have no problems with my TKO600. None. It's notchy, but otherwise fine. That said, if TKX had been an option when I got it that's the path I would have taken. I do not believe that even a medium powered V8 needs more than 5 gears. Most of the time I only use 4 of them in my car. I skip 4th quite a bit.
Notchy is fine when you are tooling around town, and I did not find it to be notchy shifting below 5000, but that trans sure does not work worth a damn for 6000 RPM and above power shifts, this especially sucks when missing a gear = losing.

I do agree that with the exception of long high speed cruising, you really don't need more than 5 gears, with 5th being the .65 or so overdrive, but before the TKX came along the T56 and Magnum were the only other option for an overdrive manual in a high horsepower car that actually worked.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts