Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced the actual headlight housing melt or become discolored from using higher wattage headlight bulbs?

I am aware of the issues with the socket, wiring, and/or light switches melting/burning from not using an upgraded harness.

I am only concerned with the headlight housing getting messed up. Has anyone had this happen?

·
Registered
982 Posts
I posted in the wrong thread. Sorry

·
Registered
7,725 Posts
Seeing first hand what a higher watt bulb can do with stock wiring here's my info.

A 80watt low 100watt high completely melted the plug into the headlight, the dimmer switch, headlight switch and started a small fire under the dash. 1500$ to repair at the dealer.

That said... (I know you mentioned you know but I just want to inform)

The short 2 weeks the bulbs were in the housings he didn't have any problems. I don't really think you will because the bulb really dosn't come close to anything in the fox light housings.

·
Banned
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nitrous SSC said:
Seeing first hand what a higher watt bulb can do with stock wiring here's my info.

A 80watt low 100watt high completely melted the plug into the headlight, the dimmer switch, headlight switch and started a small fire under the dash. 1500$ to repair at the dealer.

That said... (I know you mentioned you know but I just want to inform)

The short 2 weeks the bulbs were in the housings he didn't have any problems. I don't really think you will because the bulb really dosn't come close to anything in the fox light housings.
I believe if he had used an upgraded wiring harness or relays using thicker gauge wire, he wouldn't have had any issues with melting anything. I was under the same impression about the bulb in fox housing not coming real close to anything so I shouldn't have any issue....but I thought I would ask.

·
Registered
188 Posts
You must use a relay , thats why it melts the plugs. and A higher watt bulb throws off alot of heat, some more than others . Yes....Some will melt your housing. Why would you want these bulbs anyway , There annoying to other drivers , leave them for the big winged imports with fart cans.....

·
Banned
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LEON HORNER said:
Yes....Some will melt your housing.
Have you seen this first hand? I am only concerned with mustang housings and if you have actually seen this problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts