Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a sticking LR caliper on my 2003 GT on the way home from work Friday. The car was acting squirrely under braking. I checked the brake caliper temps and the LR was 375 degrees F while the RR was 175. I hit 125s up front. So I swapped out a caliper from a donor car I had on the LR. Ran it for 15 min, did some hard brake checks, it seemed to be stopping better and tracking fine. But when I used the temp gun again I got the same identical temp numbers.

Now I am beginning to wonder I have another problem.....any ideas? Any feedback would be appreciated!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I assume you pulled the pins out of the caliper bracket and cleaned and greased them, as well as cleaned the holes in the bracket itself. If not this could be your problem. If those get stuck it acts just like a stuck caliper because it can't slide back and fourth freely. They should move in and out easily. Some people neglect doing this during a brake job. If not that you may have another bad caliper.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used a caliper off the parted out mustang, greased it well, and had almost the same exact numbers on the LR only. I suspect its the parking brake. My new calipers just arrived, I will try these and remeasure. If the rotor temp is still really high, I will take out the console and adjust the parking brake?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I measured all mine with a heat gun a while back for a similar problem. I had similar results to what you listed too. Thing is the temp varies incredibly depending on the exact spot your hitting. Whatever the issue is that I was having disappeared on its own after some more driving. I suspect a caliper was just sticking after the car sitting for a while.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts