Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me a typical mileage that the brake pads need to be changed for a 2001 GT? i have almost 50,000 miles. I looked at the pads and they look okay to me. Also I am noticing that when I drive around I hear a faintly quiet but HIGH pitched whistling sound when the car is rolling. The sound comes and goes, but I can easily hear it driving around at 30mph with the windows down. Then I slow down and it goes away. I don't think it would be a wheel bearing. Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
472 Posts
You know, i have the same thing going on my car lately. I looked at the pads and they still seem to have meat on them. The noise goes away whenever i hit the brakes. I would like to know the possibilities too!

Dave

·
Registered
223 Posts
My car will makes a noise after being stopped for a while and only when I first roll out of my driveway. I too would like to know what that is. I thought maybe it's the brake pads sticking to the rotors?

·
Registered
104 Posts
The wear indicator will make a squeeling noise when it touches the rotor when the pads are worn, then it will go away when the brakes are applied. I would take the front wheels off and check the indicator and see if it's touching the rotor. Also your brake fluid should be low if your pads are worn. And I think 50,000 miles is pretty good, but that also depends on your driving style.

·
Registered
82 Posts
are you sure it's the brakes and not the throw out bearing (clutch)?

Also its pretty hard to tell if your pads are down by looking at them through the wheel. Epecially if you know they are pretty worn down already. Sometimes what you think is pad material is really the back plate...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts