Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The flow kooler one is 100. But I keep reading figment issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
I sucked it up and did the Edelbrock. I'm glad I did!

·
Registered
302 Posts
A buddy of mine used a Flow Kooler on his road race car. After a couple of sessions the car was overheating terribly. After it cooled off in the paddock we couldn't figure out what was going on... I took the belt off and spun the water pump pulley and thought it turned too easily. We took the water pump off and the impeller fell out on the ground...

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah that’s the thing. So many issues I read on flow kooler. Not good! It’s either edelbrock or GMB.

Does gmb actually have a different impeller then stock ?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So it’s Edelbrock or flow kooler with the better design. Everything else is the same as stock

·
Registered
658 Posts
So it’s Edelbrock or flow kooler with the better design. Everything else is the same as stock

To the best of my knowledge only Edelbrock and FlowKooler have decent impellers. Everything else is the stock design. Some of the "high performance" or "high volume" are the stamped steel impeller with the round plate welded or riveted to it. Which actually does help, but they still churn more than pump at high RPM.

·
Registered
639 Posts
It does seem possible that either the impeller or pulley flange would fall off if the impeller didn't have enough clearance to spin freely, and got bound up. It's a shame they are having build errors with the FlowKooler pumps, I have a shorty version on an SN95 that does a great job. I also have an older Evans SN95 pump that has a cast, curved vane impeller which also does a great job, but they haven't been available for quite some time now AFAIK.

Some time back I bought a "highflow" Stewart pump, only things high about that pump was the person that wrote the sales copy, and the price. Total hoax.

Jay

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
Only Edelbrock and Flowkooler seem to have a upgraded design impeller.

Summit seems to have the best pricing on the Edelbrock 8840 pump. $222 plus shipping.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Glad I bought my Flowcooler 10 years ago. It's been on and off many times with no issues whatsoever. Thing cooled the Kenne Bell 306 fine and now cools my 11:1 427w even using a 4.375" crank and oversized water pump pulley.

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
SOmething i just noticed with the Edelbrock pump.

Setting up my accessories on my engine and noticed the water pump pulley is set slightly back than the others. Maybe 0.050".

Not a big deal, as i can just use a shim, but something that's strange given the price tag of the pump. ANyone else ever notice this?

·
Registered
7,295 Posts
SOmething i just noticed with the Edelbrock pump.

Setting up my accessories on my engine and noticed the water pump pulley is set slightly back than the others. Maybe 0.050".

Not a big deal, as i can just use a shim, but something that's strange given the price tag of the pump. ANyone else ever notice this?
Nope, works perfect with the ASP Cobra water pump pulley though.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
How would you even notice 0.05" on a smooth back-side driven pulley?

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
How would you even notice 0.05" on a smooth back-side driven pulley?
There’s a lip on the factory pulley. The belt rides up on the front lip of the pulley.

0.050” may not be accurate. I need to measure but accessories are off the motor now

Attachments

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
There’s a lip on the factory pulley. The belt rides up on the front lip of the pulley.

0.050” may not be accurate. I need to measure but accessories are off the motor now
Ahhh, I forgot about the lip on the OEM pulley. I have an oversized March pulley that's smooth. Alignment isn't perfect, but it doesn't matter.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Is there some point where a high flow water pump becomes counter productive? Like where the water doesn’t stay in the radiator long enough to cool off.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Is there some point where a high flow water pump becomes counter productive? Like where the water doesn’t stay in the radiator long enough to cool off.
Only if there's cavitation creating microbubbles that reduce conduction between block and water will a higher flow rate not be better. Pressurizing the coolant in the block actually helps cooling, so that's a possible benefit of higher flow rates. It is true that the engine cooling rate versus coolant flow rate tends to level off at a certain point and the gain from increased flow has a minimal benefit beyond that point. Overdriving a stock water pump that doesn't have a backing plate or optimized impeller design is more likely to create cavitation issues compared to a good aftermarket unit.

·
Registered
8,413 Posts
Ahhh, I forgot about the lip on the OEM pulley. I have an oversized March pulley that's smooth. Alignment isn't perfect, but it doesn't matter.
I had a set of U/D pulleys on the car. Been there 20 years and i never had issues with cooling or charging. Car ran 188* on a mechanical gauge no matter what conditions. Very reliable.

However, with new combo, i figured i wanted to go with reliability over every single HP. I'm also reinstalling A/C, so that was a driving force for putting the stock pullies back on as well.

However, i wonder if the additional flow from the Edelbrock pump would allow me to run the U/D's with the new combo and still stay where i want to with cooling. Of course, unsure how this will affect my A/C output.

·
Registered
658 Posts
This is a bit of a mistaken concept.
As long as there is direct contact between the water and the walls of the tubes, the heat will be conducted to the fins and removed to the air....as long as there is proper airflow through the fins. Even if the water is moving quickly through the radiator, that means more water is in contact with the tubes and releasing heat.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts