Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes high flowing mechanic pumps for 302’s? I know edelbrock has them. Are they worth the $200 over the competition ? If so, I don’t mind spending the money.

Also- what high flowing oil pump fits in the stock pan ?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
604 Posts
Not all 302 mechanical water pumps are the same design/shape. You need to specify what car the pump will be going in to.

Stock oil pumps for SBFs are plenty good enough unless you are feeding a centrifugal blower. More flow than needed is not a good thing.

Jay

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a 90 fox coupe. Stock motor. Going with HCI. No blower.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I like these FlowKooler water pumps.

Jay

·
Registered
151 Posts
Here's something to ponder...

The one with the round openings is from an 89 F150, the other from a Mustang. Both are 5.0.

Which do you think may flow better?

Plus, the 89 F150 had a larger crank pulley and smaller water pump pulley compared to the Mustang. This makes the F150 pump spin faster. Left set of pulleys is from the Mustang, right is F150.

If you have an under drive pulley setup, ditch it. The high flow adds load anyway.

Maybe a couple options instead of the $200+ pump.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ok, I didn't realize the picture was sideways when I wrote that left/right part. The top set of pulleys (larger grooved, smaller smooth) is the F150.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I’m looking for a water pump also. The flow kooler mentioned above looks good but I’ve heard ppl having problems from them lately. There is even a recent thread about it. I’ve looked at all the Parts places online and what I’ve found is that there are house brand s and then only a few other brands of pumps. My bet is that most are made by the same companies and branded differently. There is an older thread on the best pumps with a lot of good pictures and part numbers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I’ve had good luck in the past with the pumps sold under ford racing/frpp. I did decide to try a flowkooler 1660 on my new build. A good friend of mine Is a mechanic and he swears by Stewart’s pumps. When my flowkooler pump arrived we pulled the covers and even he admitted the flowkooler was a nicer piece, although I haven’t got it together. FYI if your interested in the flowkooler you can order it factory direct without tax or shipping.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Gmb water pumps are what I run. Used half a dozen in the last year on different cars and they’re great quality. Best high volume water pump for $50 imo.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
I ended up springing for the Edelbrock pump. A little spendy, but for the most part i've heard nothing but good about them.

I was debating the FLowkooler, but have read some bad things about them and there was a thread not too long ago about someone having a few issues.

I was impressed with the Edelbrock pump when it arrived. Very nice peice, and i like NPT ports for the heater tube. Can be plugged if not being used.

It just a damn expensive part.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I personally had the pulley flange come off a FlowKooler pump (that I bought new) fall off the shaft and ruin a radiator. It had been on the car too long to fight warranty, plus I needed to get back up to running quickly. I also bought an Edelbrock.
To the best of my knowledge, Edelbrock and FlowKooler are the only two that have an impeller worth a crap. All the other "high flow" have a stamped steel paddlewheel impeller with a round plate welded or riveted to the impeller, which is half assed at best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Who makes high flowing mechanic pumps for 302’s? I know edelbrock has them. Are they worth the $200 over the competition ? If so, I don’t mind spending the money.

Also- what high flowing oil pump fits in the stock pan ?

Thanks!
A standard popular MFG. oil pump is more than sufficient for most all street engines. Even if, it's a high(er) performance engine. But, the bearing clearances have to be within a known correct spec too. No pump is going to make up for a poor build. What you want to do is "blueprint" the OP. That is, take it apart and verify all of the clearances and "smooth and chamfer" the entry and exit ports. Yes, the Eddy WPs are expensive for a reason, because they are well built, HD, and last.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks everyone who recommended!

I’m wondering what the difference between the flow kooler and eddelbrock parts are.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I like these FlowKooler water pumps.

Jay
FlowKooler puts out more flow and pressure than any others that I know of for less than $300. Water pressure in the block created by the waterpump, not the t-stat is important. I posted up on this probably 5 years ago and got hammered on it but now people are starting to understand why water pressure in the block is important to cooling. There's a relatively simple test for it and if you do a search it should come up.

BTW, Flowkooler is having quality control issues with SBF pumps - specifically saying you need to double check the clearance btw the back of the pump and the housing to make sure it spins freely (which it probably won't). FlowKooler tech says to stack gaskets to make it turn!!! WTH??

I pressed them on farther... only happened on the last 3 out of 4 SBF FlowKooler pumps-just a heads up.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FlowKooler puts out more flow and pressure than any others that I know of for less than $300. Water pressure in the block created by the waterpump, not the t-stat is important. I posted up on this probably 5 years ago and got hammered on it but now people are starting to understand why water pressure in the block is important to cooling. There's a relatively simple test for it and if you do a search it should come up.

BTW, Flowkooler is having quality control issues with SBF pumps - specifically saying you need to double check the clearance btw the back of the pump and the housing to make sure it spins freely (which it probably won't). FlowKooler tech says to stack gaskets to make it turn!!! WTH??

I pressed them on farther... only happened on the last 3 out of 4 SBF FlowKooler pumps-just a heads up.
So they’re good but they’re **** at the same time lol. I might buy one to see how they do.

·
Registered
625 Posts
So they’re good but they’re **** at the same time lol. I might buy one to see how they do.

Between one person relating that the pulley flange fell off (me) and another that they are having quality control issues, good luck.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So what’s all this talk of flowkooler pumps not fitting? If that’s the case, I’ll go with edelbrock and go from there.

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
765 Posts
So what’s all this talk of flowkooler pumps not fitting? If that’s the case, I’ll go with edelbrock and go from there.

Thoughts ?

I’ve put gmb high volume water pumps on 4 different small block fords in the past year and a half, and all have ran without a hitch. $50 and it will perform as well as any other pump out there.

$300 for a mechanical water pump is ludicrous.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts