Ford Mustang Forums banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
I wonder if the original ones I posted are any good. I don't love this ****box enough right now to blow close to $400 on the lights.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
The only thing you need to watch is the size of the projector. The set I used barley fit inside the housing when I put the lens back on.
That's exactly why I'm going with the mini h1.

·
The Lurker
910 Posts
I wonder if the original ones I posted are any good. I don't love this ****box enough right now to blow close to $400 on the lights.
I'm interested in doing this conversion but know very little about any of the newer style lights. Where are the ones you had the picture of? I agree about the price point.

·
The Lurker
910 Posts
The only thing you need to watch is the size of the projector. The set I used barley fit inside the housing when I put the lens back on.
Your lights look really good. Thanks for posting the pics! My trouble is there are so many options from the link you posted. How do you know what options to choose? I know I'm showing my ignorance. Sorry.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Grille Automotive lighting Light Product Automotive exterior

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Camera lens

working on mine right now. Fox lights need 230 degrees for about 45 min. Go from the bottoms because you will screw the housing up a little separating them. It’ll seal up fine though with rtv.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
432 Posts
I've got an old set of lenses with the reflective surface gone on the inside of them, I wonder if replacing them with a projector style lens like this and using an HID bulb will work??

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

Table Typewriter Wood Office equipment Gas

White Light Interior design Wood Line

With and without the OEM style refractor lens is hardly any difference in light pattern.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I've got an old set of lenses with the reflective surface gone on the inside of them, I wonder if replacing them with a projector style lens like this and using an HID bulb will work??
Yes, it would. That’s what I’m doing.
I’ll have the second light assembled tomorrow then I’m waiting on an adaptor that’ll be here Thursday before I can get them fully in. I also had a broken headlight adjustment bracket so I need to track one down.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Cool! I could even use a aluminum engine paint to paint the backs of the lenses after taking them apart, just for looks since they really aren't gnna actually be used for light refraction! I could use a tint, but it wouldn't match the other lenses, besides the cop's prolly wouldn't like that...

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Man, i need to get off my A$$ and order me some HIDs and get them swapped out. Im just going to buy some cheap fluted lights and go to town. Those are looking good @Nitrous SSC. The cutoff looks great. Which hid set did you end up using?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Oh! And did you get halo's with them?? If so which ones didja order? I couldn't figger out that part..

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Man, i need to get off my A$$ and order me some HIDs and get them swapped out. Im just going to buy some cheap fluted lights and go to town. Those are looking good @Nitrous SSC. The cutoff looks great. Which hid set did you end up using?
Honestly I have no idea as to brand. A friend of mine came over while I was removing one of the lights to fix a broke mounting plate. He’s like “let’s do a retrofit” and showed up 30 min later with these 2.5’s and a cheapo Amazon 35w 5000k H1 kit. The surrounds were originally black and looked horrid. I sprayed them down with flat grey plastic etching primer so they’d hide better

I forgot to get a photo with the factory lens on the ceiling. The only difference is it added a bit of “fuzz” to the edges but it was still a million times better than the stock crap and didn’t refract or glare at all.

I’m at a stand still currently on the project. Waiting for new backing plates to show up from blue oval industries since I discovered both were actually cracked. But the housings are sealed back up and ready to go. Wiring is done too.

Also to add, I had to modify the back where the bulbs fit. They required to be cut down about 1/4 so I could get to the lock nut and also the H1 bulb retainer to install. Here is a picture before I trimmed the outer surround down. I’ll post one of the finished work when I get back out there.

This isn’t a perfect job as I used older housings with lens that have been on the car for a while. Figured I’d learn with old stuff so I can do it perfect next time on new housings when that time comes.

Automotive design Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Machine

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Cool! I could even use a aluminum engine paint to paint the backs of the lenses after taking them apart, just for looks since they really aren't gnna actually be used for light refraction! I could use a tint, but it wouldn't match the other lenses, besides the cop's prolly wouldn't like that...
Don’t even worry about that. Just leave them be. It’ll look more factory keeping the reflective coating. I’ll post more photos once it’s done.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Good work.

This was a project I had always intended on trying out one day. I didn't want to do it in a cheap pair of repop housings so I bought a set of NOS housings about 10 years ago to hack up.

Not so sure that's a good idea now. Maybe i'll do it to a set of LMR housings now.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
All housings are sealed and complete. I’m now waiting on the backing plates to fully finish install. Here’s how the lights look going through 12 year old repo lenses.
Bicycle Wheel Tire White Motor vehicle

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

61 - 79 of 79 Posts