Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well im a little disappointed with the track times but not the mph. best time at 1/8 mile track was a 8.6 with a 92mph and .515 light however keep in mind 60ft times were an INCREDIBLY HORRIBLE 2.3 seconds!! with a best of 2.0!!! I need suspension and slicks BADDDDDD!!!!:( Later in the evening i posted a 9.5 cause i missed second gear but posted a 93MPH !!!! With the right guy driving im sure this thing has a ton more in it! what does this equate to in 1/4 mile times??

HELP ME MAX OUT MY COMBO!!!

here goes...

-Holley 750cfm vac secondary--I know this sucks probably need bigger and mech secon.

-393 cleveland, Eagle Stroker kit ARP Main and Head studs. Balance bluebrint can handle i think anything

-Edelbrock Torker Intake--Your thoughts on it

-MSD 6AL Billet distrib and blaster coil IM RUNNING 10 DEGREES TIMING WHAT DO YOU SET TIMING FOR!?!?!?!?!

-HYD ROLLER Cam- specs are 596in 609ex [email protected]
After talking to ALL Cleveland I think this is the biggest problem besides slicks and carb it has nice street manners so i might change this last but PLEASE INPUT SUGGESTIONS ON CAM CHOICES!!!

-Running Hedman headers I think they're enough 2 in. primary 3 in. collector I AM RUNNING 2.5 INCH EXHAUST IS THIS TOO SMALL???

-I have fuel pressure correct now but sometimes it seems like it starves at the the top end. heres my whack ass rigged fuel system :) I have a BBK 255lph pump going through stock feed line to a Aeromotive bypass regulator to the carb and have -8 running back to the tank. i have pressure set at 6 psi but i think the gauage my be of by 1 -2 pounds i will try reswtting back up to 7-8 psi thats where it ran the best. Input thoughts on fuel system

I Shift Right at 58-6000rpm because im afraid of toasting my motor again. and it sucks because at 5-55 that's like when I REALLY FEEL THIS LADY COME ON LINE!!!! so help me out again corralers Im thinking slicks carb and cam and ill be a happy guy! but any other input is appreciated!!!!

MUSTANG MATT!!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Your times are not impressive even for a 302 but, the MPH is good. With the suspension set up properly and slicks it should run mid to low sevens.
I would upgrade the fuel system before I did anything else. 255lph through the stock line is ludicrous! Once you get that straightened out, you should be able to wind her up to 6500 RPM. Also, I would go to a 3" exhaust with 3" dynomax magnum bullets. Should be seeing around 100 MPH in the Eighth by then. I wouldn't switch the cam just yet.....James

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
The 92 mph trap speed suggests you should at least be capable of low 7s. Definitely try a pair of slicks. If you were spinning all the way down the track and still ran 92 mph then slicks will definitely bring your mph up and possibly even get your car into the high 6s. Try the slicks before before you change the cam and carb. No sense in adding more power if you can't put what you already have to the ground.

Once you get your traction problem solved then I would go with a solid roller with around .650 lift and a duration in the low 250s @ .050 range and a 850 cfm carb.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She's ALL over the place at the track. when i shift into 2nd it almost goes sideways im not even powershifting yet:)

im afraid of revving it that high, i had the limiter set at 7000 when i blew the motor the first time. I think maybe 6500 is worth a shot but ill play around with that later. Slicks it is then what do low 7's high 6's in the 1/8 get in the 1/4 usually???

Also what to you guys recommend for the fuel system situation then?

Also can you guys answer any of the other questions like the timing?

thanks again! matt

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
mustangmatt18 said:
Slicks it is then what do low 7's high 6's in the 1/8 get in the 1/4 usually???

That depends....

Low 7s could be anywhere from a mid 11 to a 10.99. If it runs in the 6s then at least high 10s or quicker are almost guaranteed.

·
Registered
186 Posts
For a motor that big I would have 3" exhaust if its running out the back, 2 1/2 would hurt slightly with a short set up and knock out maybe 10 hp if ran out the back.

But I would go with Dennis sugestion 1st , slicks to see what you can realy do, be prepaird to tune your chassis as well.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
As far as your fuel system goes, that BBK 255lph pump may be hard to get the pressure regulated on a carbed setup. Thats a LOT of pressure/volume that was meant for EFI and you may be cutting it back so much that its starving the engine, yet flooding it when you increase the pressure a little. I don't really know, I've never tried to use an EFI pump on a carbed setup. I would swap over to a Holley Blue with a regulator. The Holley Blue is what I use on my race car and it has never given a problem. I have never had any fuel pressure related problems or fuel starvation. I run a 3/8 copper line all the way to the regulator where it goes to a 3/8 AN from the regulator to the carb.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well if you look at the aeromotive diagram they us their A1000 pump which puts out roughly 405 lph. The 255 seems to work decent for the most part... gosh more money into this thing :rolleyes: ithink im gonna try slicks just hope i dont break anything...

matt

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
You need to really work on your set up. I had a 351C, bored .040 over, 11:1, ported 2V heads, Wieand single plane intake, 1 7/8 headers, with a C-6 trans.. I ran 7.7's in the 1/8th @93mph, on Nitto DR's. You need to get atleast a Holley blue pump, and 1/2" alu. fuel line. A 850 Dp, and 3" exhaust. With tuning, and the parts above, you should run around 7.3's. You did'nt say anything about your heads/comp.. Oh yea, I ran a solid flat tappet cam(around [email protected]).

Good Luck, Greg(XSR)

·
Registered
2 Posts
About EFI pumps with carbs

I used to run a EFI 125LPH Stock 460 pump in my 88 mustang with a mild 460 and an Edelbrock Carb. Through the stock line with an oil pressure switch cycling the pump relay at 5 psi, no return line. It sounds brutal, but in 2 years in only burnt one relay. This car ran 7.8 at 88 mph in the 1/8 with this fuel system. Before you spend money on fuel just hook up a gauge and see if you are maintaining 5 psi to the carb, if you are, good enough. Do buy slicks though. Just the traction and much tuning suspension and otherwise and you will go much faster yet for a long time. No need to spend more money yet.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I would go with a different setup on the fuel system. A easy way to check to see if your pump is keeping up. Is to run the car out, and shut off pump/motor before you let off, and check the float bowls. If they are dry or real low, then you need to change it. If the bowls are full you are ok. Also, a fuel pressure gauge where you can see it, when running the car out, is very helpful too. If everything checksout ok, buy some slicks, and go at it. I think you have a few problems, with your setup I would think you should see 96-100mph. Hope I could be of some help.

Good Luck, Greg(XSR)

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Also, I have a friend with a modified Holley 750 Dp, that has been modified. Flows around 830-850, which he had on a 396W, that ran [email protected] He wants $225 for it, and it would be great on your set up. Let me know if you might be intrested.

Thanks, Greg(XSR)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts