Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the head plugs to plug up holes in back of heads after taking smog pump and out and all the tubes. There is no hex cap or allen screw thing on the plugs so how do I screw them in.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I think if you look into the center of the plug you're see a slot where you'd stick a flat bladed screw driver into the plug. Good luck getting that into the back of the head with the heads on the engine.

Carson

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how about putting screw inside of it

Maybe ill put a screw inside of it and use the hew cap of the screw inside to screw it in.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Could, but you'd have two problems with that:

1) It's freakin' HARD to get any kind of tools back in there.

2) Even if you could get something on the screw, odds are you'd just strip out the inside of the plug, and wouldn't be able to turn it anymore.

Whatever you do, do the best you can to clean the carbon out of the holes before you try to put the plugs in.

·
Registered
873 Posts
A quarter works really well!

·
Registered
797 Posts
I just cut the ends of the crossover tube off and reversed them on each head.

The best part was that they were free!!!!!:joy:

·
Registered
542 Posts
Ludicrous Speed said:
I just cut the ends of the crossover tube off and reversed them on each head.

The best part was that they were free!!!!!:joy:
Could you describe what you did and do you have pics

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey thanks

Got the plugs and they wouldnt go in for s***. To much carbon crap i geuss. Thanks to guy with white stang pic. Im going to cut ends off the crossover tube, sand them down nice and smooth then reverse them. Started it without anything in and it was loud as hell.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Re: hey thanks

Slow93Colt said:
Got the plugs and they wouldnt go in for s***. To much carbon crap i geuss. Thanks to guy with white stang pic. Im going to cut ends off the crossover tube, sand them down nice and smooth then reverse them. Started it without anything in and it was loud as hell.
Got any pics I just cant visualize how to do this and have been putting off removing the smog stuff for a while.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey got good news

Allright no pics but listen. You know where the smog pump is right. Two bolts hold the pump on. Before you remove those two bolts to take it off take off the belt. Then unbolt the two bolts holding pump on. New belt should be size 84.5. Ther eis one big tube attached to the pump. Take the clamp off and slide it off. Take the pump out. Next get familiar with lines and tubes on pass. side with the intake elbow off. I did it with it on and kicked myself in the A**. Take off the pipe from the cats. Put a big bolt in that rubber tube at the cats and clamp it off. Take out one bolt holding pipe to header then remove slowly from engine bay. Is this making any sense if it is reply and ill tell you the rest.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the rest

Allright after all the tubes and skinny lines are out then check out the crossover tube on the back of the heads with ones bolt on the back of each head. Use 1/2 and remove this tube and slide out pass. side. Cut off the ends of the tube and reverse them to use as a block off type deal. Do not get the plugs they don't screw in believe me. Understand yet. I just followed those little small skinny tubes all the way to 4 inches away from sheet metal in pass side corner where all those little canisters are. And one more thing a little tube that comes off back of the intake manifold. Have to put small machine screw in the little rubber end and put back on to block off or will idle at 1100.

·
Registered
542 Posts
So essentially you took the 2 tubes coming off the heads and turned them so they are connected to each so thus creating a loop and blocking off the ports.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no wait

No not creating any typeofloop or anything. first unbolt the copper tube from the back of the heads by unbolting the twobolts one from each head then cutoff the endsof that tube. Then just turn the ends arounds so that the solidpart, not the side with a hole in it is facing the head thus blocking the hole off. Cause the pieces to cut off of that tube have a hole on one side which is currently being used and a flat solid side which you will use to block off flow.

·
Registered
797 Posts
cutoff the endsof that tube. Then just turn the ends arounds so that the solidpart, not the side with a hole in it is facing the head thus blocking the hole off
Yep, that is what I did.........

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Hey 93colt, I may be a little late on this for you but I put those plugs in a few weeks ago and the way that I did it was I took a tap and chased the threads in the head were the plug goes, I had to cut the end of the tap off so that I could get it behind the head, after you chase the threads and get them cleaned out rather well the plug will screw in a lot easier, you may have to use a quarter to finish it up, but if you do not want to use the quarter you can puta small bolt in the plug and use a wrench to turn it the rest of the way. This is only if you do not want those rails back there, sorry I didnt see this one earlier, Take care and have fun.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The holes for the smog tubes ,that you want to plug are a 5/8"X 11 NC thread .Before you try to put the plugs in ,you should run a tap through the holes to clean out years of carbon build up in there.The plugs will go in much easier that way.A coat of anti sieze on the new plug should make it easier to remove should you ever decide you need to take them back out at a later date.
Scott

1 - 20 of 21 Posts