Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody like it say i'm new here & hope that the veterans can answer my question. I'm buying a 351W through a friend for 150$. What all will i need to do to turn it into a 408. Please try and give me every detail as this is going into a 66 Ford Pickup this Spring so i am serious about it. We are also going to turn it into a automatic by putting a B&M C-4 tranny under it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
just by the stroker kit for it. That is what your wanting to do right, make it into a stroker motor? The kit will have everything you will need to make it into a 408. I cant really help you any farther than that due to Im just as rusty (ok totally rotted out) on old fords like that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to add. I want to be pushing 600 hp to the wheels. If anybody can help it will be greatly appreaciated. I was going to bore it out 30 over, run AFR heads, Crane PowerMax cam that's .484"intake & .512" Exhaust, PerformerRPM Manifold or the Torker2 Manifold from Edlebrock, Edlebrock 750 carb, Trick Flow forged pistons running 10:1 compression. That should give me 600 to the wheels easily. Where should I get the AFR heads & what size?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Flex12 said:
Crane PowerMax cam that's .484"intake & .512" Exhaust
Um... If thats advertised lift and not lobe lift, you need to get a MUCH bigger cam if you want 600hp. I have a .583/.552 lift cam in my 359 (.040 over) with 1.72 rockers.

I'd get the AFR 205 or 225's for that much power. I also hear that the newer Torker manifolds (Torker II) aren't as good as the old ones, you'd be better off with a vic jr.

Is this going to be a street engine or more of a track engine? I think with the parts you listed your power estimate is a little high with that small of a cam and intake. With it being a 408, its going to need a big cam and intake, compared to a 351, to get good power out of it because of the added cubes.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
600 hp will probably take verry high comp and you will have to run race gas 4.50 a gal , are you shure you want that ? and the cam will have to be so big to hit that hp number that it will be slugish of idle unless you put a loose stall converter in it and it will eat more fuell , 600 hp is realy a race engine, not street friendly, but you can drive it on the street though, might run hot with the high compression.

the setup you had mentioned looked street friendly to me but looked more like 400 hp to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damn, Well I guess those figures are too high. I wanted to have a monster street engine. You know street light to street light..lol . I guess then I want to be able to put the most HP down on the street that is usable HP still using the 408. I'm kinda new to all this but not totally lost. I really want most of the power to hit between 2,000 to 2,500 RPM and go all the way to 6,000 or 6,500 RPM. Since i'm not going to be pushing 600HP can I still use everything that I mentioned above and still get a good HP number out of it. Another words I want the most HP out of it that will still be usable for every day street driving. Thanx

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
every thing you mentioned sounded like a very strong and fun, and streetable setup, you will probably need the biggest valve AFR head you can get for a 408 though

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just wanted to say thanx for helping me out it is greatly appreceated guys. Next question:

What size torque converter should I use as I am putting a C4 B&M tranny behind it. I read in one post that someone thought that his 408 was too big to drive on the street another words not enough low end torque & somebody told him to use a 5,000 stall to make up for it. He then added by saying using that setup "my car would flash right up there & just pulled". So should I put a 5,000 stall behind it if I use the AFR 205 Heads & since it is going to be a 408 on the street would it be overkill for me to use the Super Victor intake over the Victor Junior intake?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
If this is going to be a street engine, then get the Vic Jr intake. What you want in a converter, is one that is rated to stall at about 500rpm LESS than your torque peak, for drag racing. For the street you'd probably want it lower so it doesn't drive like crap.

I think the 205's (or even 185's if you want a lower-rpm torque monster) would be fine with the vic jr intake and a nice healthy cam.

·
Authorized corral.net Advertiser
698 Posts
If I were for sure going to run AFR heads, I would run the 205's. According to someone I talked to at TEA, on their flow bench, the 205 was a better flowing head than the 225. I like the 185's on my 10.8:1 331, but I think I would have liked the 205's a little more. I would go with about 11:1 and the 205 heads on your 408 with a custom ground cam. You can call Ford Performance Solutions, and talk to them. They can hook you up with the right parts to make good hp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts