Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See my sig, but how much difference would exhaust make? Would long tubes help much? 1 5/8 or 1 3/4? What about 2 1/2 cat back or maybe 3" system? Again how much difference at my current level?

I also plan to up the boost this year (18lb range). How much difference will the exhaust make? Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm hoping to find out this year. I'm putting all new exhaust on to replace the equal length shorties, h-pipe, and flowmasters with 1 3/4" BBK ceramic coated longtubes, x-pipe, and dynomax race magnums. I'm staying with 2.5" exhaust though. I hope to see at least 20 more hp with these changes alone, I guess I'll find out!

·
Premium Member
1,301 Posts
I am going from shorty headers with 2.5" inch pipe and flowmasters to MAC 1 3/4 longtubes and 3 inch pipe and flowmasters.. I am hoping not only for alot of sound difference but power as well. spent 430$ for the whole setup.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool :) Sounds like some good combos. Curious to see how they work. Anyone else?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've been thinking about getting rid of my Magnaflow cat-back and going with a Dynomax ultraflow cat-back myself, since I've had nothing but problems(fitment wise) with the Magnaflow. Also, they have not responded to any of my emails.

What is the part number for the ultraflow cat-back kit with LX pipes? And where is the best place to get it from? Thanks.

Magnaflow fit :barf:

·
Registered
459 Posts
The times in my signature were done running (4) mufflers.. I ran the stock cat back AND some straight thru glass packs welded into my Dr.Gas x-pipe.. In that configuration the car dyno'd 381 rwhp and 475 rwtq...

I've resently removed ALL my mufflers, and welded in straight piping in their places.. So now my exhaust consist of 1 5/8 shorties, into a 2 1/2 inch Dr. Gas x pipe, into 2 1/4 pipes out the back.. No mufflers or cats.. In this confirguration the car dyno'd 400 rwhp and 486 rwtq..

The exhaust note, now when you crack it.. Is like a cross between a pre-historic dogs bark, and the blair of Godzilla in the movies :eek: ... I've got to put some kind of mufflers on it..

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with 1 3/4 lt and a 3" system. I put the MAC stuff on mine and it seems to work OK. I like the sound. I ran it a few times with no mufflers and its just to loud and sounds like I can't aford a muffler! My friend HRSPLAY on the board here, says he went from 1 5/8 shorties to 1 3/4 LT and the car reved quicker and he gained a few ponies too. Lost a 1 or 2 of boost due to better flowing exhaust. Jeff knows Mikey too, he don't lie !

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No mufflers!!! LMFAO!!! I can only imagine what your neighbors must think.

Bellman Jeff said:
The times in my signature were done running (4) mufflers.. I ran the stock cat back AND some straight thru glass packs welded into my Dr.Gas x-pipe.. In that configuration the car dyno'd 381 rwhp and 475 rwtq...

I've resently removed ALL my mufflers, and welded in straight piping in their places.. So now my exhaust consist of 1 5/8 shorties, into a 2 1/2 inch Dr. Gas x pipe, into 2 1/4 pipes out the back.. No mufflers or cats.. In this confirguration the car dyno'd 400 rwhp and 486 rwtq..

The exhaust note, now when you crack it.. Is like a cross between a pre-historic dogs bark, and the blair of Godzilla in the movies :eek: ... I've got to put some kind of mufflers on it..

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. If I had to choose, I would be up in the air about the headers. 1 5/8 would probably be better with my "current" combo.? The car is a little soft out of the hole with the 3.55 (at least compared to the 3.73/T-5). It don't matter now though. My buddy is probably going to keep the exhaust for another project :(

I think since I need all of the small stuff (SFI balancer, headers, etc), I think I'm going to just get it over with and do my 351 conversion. It may keep the car down a little longer this year, but at least it will be done (and hopefully faster) :)

How about another twist??????? ON the 351 (and eventually 392) would the 1 3/4 headers be better or should I go for the 1 7/8??? Or should I spend the dough for custom stepped headers that fit my car perfect? Gary Cook here in Detroit does awesome exhaust work and charges 850 for custom headers. I don't know about the headers, but I was going to have him do my x-pipe and tails (3" of course) :)

Keep the great feedback coming. In some ways the "accidental" deletion of the tech section was good. Now people may feel the need to post some of this invaluable info again. There used to be a lot of good info out there, but some times it was hard to find. Take it easy Corral :joy:

302man said:
I don't think you can go wrong with 1 3/4 lt and a 3" system. I put the MAC stuff on mine and it seems to work OK. I like the sound. I ran it a few times with no mufflers and its just to loud and sounds like I can't aford a muffler! My friend HRSPLAY on the board here, says he went from 1 5/8 shorties to 1 3/4 LT and the car reved quicker and he gained a few ponies too. Lost a 1 or 2 of boost due to better flowing exhaust. Jeff knows Mikey too, he don't lie !

1 - 9 of 9 Posts