Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a 94 Auto GT Vert...145k...

He wants to put a cam(stock heads), 1.7 rrs, Systemax intake, unequal short header, off road h, homemade cold air, and flows....how much rwhp horse do you think he will have...

I was thinking about 225rwhp...with everything being stock besides what I listed above...any ideas...Thanks guys

David

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can anyone give me an estimate?????

David

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
why in the world would he spend the money to buy a $600 intake for a cheap heads that don't flow. He'll regret that if he does, not to mention he'll have just about no bottom end (also depending on cam).
Spend that same $600 for some GT40 heads or ProTopline heads, and buy a used Cobra intake and he'll be much more satisfied.

A Holley intake is for a higher revin 306 engine or larger engine w/ better heads.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Skip the "cold air" garbage.
What size headers? What size H-pipe?

I hear flomaster add 30hp. :) NOT! The flows will make it sound mean, but it's still a 'vert, and an auto. He should think about the AOD shift kits that will stiffen up the trans.

Agreed, If it's simply a first step, whatever, buy the intake. If it's something he got a hellofa deal on, slap it on. But don't buy it if he hasn't already. The heads will become a serious bottleneck. Good heads with a stock intake will make more power then that intake with stock unported heads. I'm not trying to piss on anyones parade, but if you pour a double gulp into a tea cup you'll see what happens with a good intake and stock heads.

·
Banned
3,819 Posts
Your guestimate sounds about right at 220-230rwhp with intake/exhaust/alphabet cam and stock heads to me.

·
Registered
35,895 Posts
The bigger issue here is the weight of a stock 94/95 vert with an automatic and stock gears. Unless you're very careful with your cam choice, your friend is going to create a real dog of a street car. There are lots of posters out there that will tell you the best upgrade they ever made was taking the Motorsport cam out of their stock-headed car, and putting the stocker back in. The majority of off the shelf cam choices with stock heads usually kills the bottom end - which is made much worse in the case of an automatic vert with no gears. Gains in peak HP won't mean much in a street car if they come with a loss of 50 or 60 lb-ft of torque below 2500 rpm. Be careful - I'd stick with the stock cam if you're not gonna change the heads. I'd use the money to put a set of 4.10 gears in the car - MUCH bigger bang for the buck. Also, the 'home-made' cold air won't flow any better than the stock cold air box with the silencer removed and a good filter in place.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys...anymore suggestions...

Sounds like its not a good combo...but I think he is going with heads eventually...

David

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
yeah

I'd just invest in some heads first of all. A lot of us have made the mistake of buying little parts here and there (throttle bodies, cold air intakes) and wait much later, or even never replace the stock bottle neck heavy pieces of junk commonly called E7 heads :D

I bought my car already modded, so I'm not guilty of doing this :lol: :p

If I were your friend, and money is an issue, then I'd get some cyl. heads (the best you can afford), and also spend some money on 4.10 or 4.30 gears since his is an automatic. Then, when he has more money, get a cam and intake along w/ the proper fueling system.

If he just does the heads, he won't need to upgrade the fueling system just yet, except for maybe the stock fuel pump, as it's quite little. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
tell you friend to invest that money in a nitrous kit, the best bang for the buck and emissions friendly (some kits are 50 state legal, and if its not.....you could always hide or remove it...)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts