Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys:
I am at my wit's end with my 90 GT. Just put in a new T-5 Z spec tranny. Car was down for over a month - don't ask, it's too long a story. Anyway, put the final stuff back together Thursday night, and drove it around. Felt great! Tranny was tight, strong, and I was very pleased. During the final trip back to the house, I crossed 5k on the tach in 3rd, and it quit- then started again. I drove it around the neighborhood a little, changed the air filter, and drove it to park in the front. Seemed fine at that point.
Friday - NO start! cranked fine, but would not start. I checked the fuel pump, and could hear it charging up - it has less than 10K miles on it.
Today I started the process of trying to figure this out. First thing was to pull a plug, turn the ignition on, and cross the starter solenoid. No spark on the plug. Hmmm. Haynes gave a decent diagnostic plan, so I used it. The coil seemed to give bad readings based on the specs, so I replaced the coil, dist. cap, and button. Still no go....... It's not firing! One of my buds suggested a problem with TFI module. Ok, fine, but I can't keep replacing stuff. How do I KNOW if the TFI module is bad? And when it mentions the Ignition module, is that the TFI module, or is the TFI module the one on the firewall?

Consider me befuzzled............
Dwight

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK - an update. Got the car to run by taking the neg. cable off, waiting about 5 min., then reconnecting. The car will crank and keep running until I run the car up into the higher rpms. Just now I was in 3rd at the higher rpms and it backfired, check engine light came on, then less than minute later died. I took the cable off, waited, and sure enough, it started right back up.

Any ideas?

Thanks............

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
Ya, it is something funny with the electronics. Maybe the computer is going retarded when you rev the snot out of it?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts