Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a mustang for parts with a good motor in it, but the water pump only has 2 of the 8 bolts which is just the top two. I have called a ford place and a salvage yard, nobody seems to have them or know how to get them, they tell me to bring one of the bolts in, but the botom ones are not the same. does anyone know where I could find them??? help much appreciated

·
Registered
923 Posts
Have you got a pick-your-part nearby? You could get them for a few dollars there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Go to Lowes or the equivalent and buy some 5/16" 18 thread bolts. You will need two 4" bolts and several 2 1/2" IIRC.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Capri73 said:
Go to Lowes or the equivalent and buy some 5/16" 18 thread bolts. You will need two 4" bolts and several 2 1/2" IIRC.
Sounds right to me!

Kyle

·
Corral Charter Member
11,387 Posts
I'd do exactly as suggested above, there are really not any other suggestions that I can think of that have not already been mentioned above.

Your only options are the local hardware stores, junk yards or possibly the (2) sites listed in my signature below.

good luck!

·
Registered
669 Posts
Capri73 said:
I wonder if it would be a good idea to get them in stainless?

·
Super Moderator
4,771 Posts
Stainless are nice if you don't plan to go into the motor anytime soon. If the motor is gone through frequently (like race motors) they are not necessary. Not everyone wants to spend a lot of $$ on just bolts and a lot of times individuals may not afford the luxury to spend that much or afford the down time with the motor apart. When using regular bolts just clean them with lubricant before using them. That way they won't rust as fast like the original bolts did. I just did a thread on timing cover bolts a few days ago. Mind you I don't run accessories so I didn't buy bolts with studs. There is a pic with the sizes of each bolt for Fox timing covers. I'm at work so I can't post it right now.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
After snapping two off in the block, I'm getting stainless...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts