Ford Mustang Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to change my water pump to a "standard" clockwise direction pump (this will be for my 408w). I'm running across some conflicting information. Some people are saying just swap the WP with a standard direction pump and its done, others are saying it doesn't work with the timing cover? Then there is the pully, some say just run the ribbed side on a smooth pully and some say to change to a ribbed pulley.

My ultimate goal is a WP/CS/ALT setup only (see attached diagram)

If you have done this please chime in and let me know what parts you used.

Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Vendor
13,202 Posts
you dont have to change the timing cover, thats nonsense. Assuming your cover is currently one of these pictured. Disregard to the oddball one on the bottom right. You will notice the port location and direction has been the same for 40 years.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I never changed a thing when i did mine. Even kept the water pulley. It has never done damage to the belt that was probably 8 or 9 years ago now.

Reactions: JPX and speedmullen

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
------------------------------------------------------------
Post #2 is what I did.

89 LX Hatch, 2800 lbs, Stock Short Block, AFR 165, FTI Cam, Astro A5, 4.10's, 341 RWHP, [email protected] so far. Next up....100 Shot.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Same here, pully was 50 pump was 100. All in all not to bad.

Nice to know that the pully in not 100% necessary though, hopefully that helps someone else searching this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.