Ford Mustang Forums banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
There are two broken studs there. Apparently the one you broke on the bottom looks fresh, the one above it has been broken off for a while. This could have been a vacuum leak with only 3 studs holding the throttle body in place. I agree with Top heavy take the upper intake off. And even before trying to work on it take to a machine shop and have them hot tank the whole upper intake. Take all the hoses off and EGR valve off before hand.
I need my car this Saturday for the Dyno and I got the egr spacer off and I broke a stud into my intake manifold, if I drill it out and tap it will it be okay to run Saturday for the dyno.

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Good point lol. Because it would be pointless to upgrade to a 70mm throttle body and not upgrade the EGR spacer to a 70mm.
I got the egr spacer off and the stud I broke is broke off in the intake manifold if I drill and tap it and put new studs and everything in will it be okay and also yes I am replacing the egr spacer with a 70mm with the 70mm throttle body and one last question I used screw drivers to try to pry the egr spacer off and I did actually cut a small slit at the bottom of my intake manifold with the new gasket will it be able to seal it off or should I be worried

· Registered
2,253 Posts
Put some silicone over the slit/scratch before new gasket goes on. Should be okay. Now the stud broken off in the intake is where you need to take strokeme advice on that.

Left hand drill bits. Make the face flat, perfectly centered punch, step up drill size as you go

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I got the egr spacer off and the stud I broke is broke off in the intake manifold if I drill and tap it and put new studs and everything in will it be okay and also yes I am replacing the egr spacer with a 70mm with the 70mm throttle body and one last question I used screw drivers to try to pry the egr spacer off and I did actually cut a small slit at the bottom of my intake manifold with the new gasket will it be able to seal it off or should I be worried
Put some silicone over the slit/scratch before new gasket goes on. Should be okay. Now the stud broken off in the intake is where you need to take strokeme advice on that.

Left hand drill bits. Make the face flat, perfectly centered punch, step up drill size as you go
okay so tmr I need to get some left hand drill bits and what do you mean by make the face flat and shouldn’t I only have to drill once and it’ll pull the stud out when I pull the drill bit out

· Registered
2,253 Posts
Nope drilling it once will not pull it out. It is seized in there. Make the face of the broken off stud flat that way the drill bit doesn't walk off center. And after you make a punch directly in the center of the flat stud face, drill a pilot hole with a really small regular drill bit to start. Make that first hole perfectly centered and parallel/level with the upper intake. Luckily those studs are not a very hard material this is very doable. Take your time. Step up the hole with bigger regular drill bits till you get closer to the left hand drill bit sizes. And keep lubing it as you go.

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Nope drilling it once will not pull it out. It is seized in there. Make the face of the broken off stud flat that way the drill bit doesn't walk off center. And after you make a punch directly in the center of the flat stud face, drill a pilot hole with a really small regular drill bit to start. Make that first hole perfectly centered and parallel/level with the upper intake. Luckily those studs are not a very hard material this is very doable. Take your time. Step up the hole with bigger regular drill bits till you get closer to the left hand drill bit sizes. And keep lubing it as you go.
The stud is actually loose in the manifold I was able to twist it when it snapped off so it might come out pretty easy but I have pics of the cut in the manifold
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Light Grille

Light Automotive tire Cuisine Auto part Dish

· Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The scratch will be fine with a little rtv silicone over it before new gasket is put on. Let it dry for at least 6-12 hours
Hey so I got the throttle body on and I started the car and I can’t get it to idle right can anybody possibly FaceTime me or video chat me to help because I really need it to run tonight if I can

21 - 40 of 49 Posts