Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I am posting this for my cousin. He just purchased a new to him 96 GT. 3 days after he bought it he was warming it up in the driveway and it started to sputter and died. He had it towed to a garage in his area and they scanned it. It said that it had a bad fuel pump. They replaced it and everything was fine. This morning the same thing happened again. The pump is 1 week old. I am in GA and he is in Tenn. I have no way of looking at the car right now. He was going to call me back with the code from the check engine light. He never did. I am going to call him tomorrow. Any ideas of what it might be? He has spent @ 400 dollars for this problem already. He is kinda on a budget. Any suggestions that he could check/repair would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your help.:confused:

·
Registered
729 Posts
IAC valve is bad happens all the time I dont have a picture of it but it is on the front of the upper intake on the driver's side it goes bad all the time most people on here take it off and clean it with electrical cleaner or Carb cleaner and let it dry and put it back on I think they change the gasket too. When it sputters and dies it is idling right it is still very driveable with this condition mine has been acting up for several months now every now and then it wont idle for crap for a day or so then it is fine

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New Info

Hey Guys,

Talked with my cousin. He said that the car will not run at all. Check engine light does not go off with the key on. Any more suggestions?

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
98Fauxbra said:
He had it towed to a garage in his area and they scanned it. It said that it had a bad fuel pump.
There is no way to "scan" for a bad fuel pump. Check the IAC as previously mentioned. It's hard to diagnose a car over the Internet, so include as much info on the car as possible and maybe someone can help you.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Kinda sounds like an IAC vavle but if the check engine light never goes off in the ON position then something else is wrong.

Where is your cousin located? If he's near me I may be able to help out. Also ask him to go to www.tennesspeed.net and he'll probably find someone in the nashville or other cities to help if he's near one of those.

Byron

·
Registered
266 Posts
Have him try to reset the intertial fuel pump cutout switch in the trunk first. If that doesn't work, hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fitting on the fuel rail and let us know what is going on. The PCM enables the fuel pump for a couple of seconds when the key is initally turned to run to build up pressure and will then disable it until the engine speed is over 120RPM. If there is an obstruction in the line or the fuel filter is clogged, the pressure will be inadequate (less than 30) when the PCM disables the pump and the car will not start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts