Bbk headers
70mm tb
Typhoon intake upper/lower
K&n
130amp alt upgrade
3.73 gears
Stock but rebuilt injectors
Dual flowmaster 40s w H pipe dumped after axle
Runs good for now but I want to add the new lifters and ford Ecam I bought just for the lopey idle.
While I'm at it I figured I'd add some heads..
Should it require a "tune" with new heads? I was hoping to just bolt stuff on and run...and I want to be reliable daily driver
Will stock injectors still work?
I'm a certified watercraft mechanic and have rebuilt a few Chevy engines but never touched a Ford. Having said that I feel like I can pretty much figure most things out that I might need to change or adjust on the car.
Any help or tips much appreciated.
I'm looking at a cheap set of ebay gt40 style heads w gt40 style alum heads

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Should be a piece of cake for you. Depending upon what heads you use you should consider larger injectors than 19lb/hr and calibrated mass air meter if so capable. You may max out if using stock 19s. Do you have speed density or mass air for a computer system?

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
The car is a 1990, so it must be a MAF EEC.

The stock injectors will be fine. The cam will probably require that some degree of EEC tuning is done. The different overlap changes the amount of reversion in the intact tract. This changes the readings from the MAF, because it reads airflow going into and out of the engine as total airflow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you go to any aluminum heads out there, you're definitely going to need bigger injectors. It may be difficult to get good idle without a tune, as the factory calibration idles at only 672 RPMs. Some guys will just crank their Throttle stop screw up so it forces a higher than requested idle, but that's really not the right way to do things. Heads/Cam/Intake will be much improved with a proper tune.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Jack, who knows more than most and certainly more than I, suggests he will be fine for his more casual driving use (see post above).

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I have a 1990 LX 5.0 I have GT40X306 aluminum heads, Comp Cam XE264HR cam and stock 19lb injectors. It runs fine. I have seen the E cam run in many many applications relatively trouble free with decent idle with no tune.

·
Registered
22,261 Posts
idle and transitions to idle will probably be problematic with that throttle body without a tune

1 - 8 of 8 Posts