Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't freakin' decide what I want to do. I'm going to replace the 4-wheel drums on my Coupe with 4-wheel discs. I'm on the budge route (aka: I don't wanna drop $1500 on a full Wilwood setup), so I'm stuck.

I like the idea of Maverick front discs/Explorer discs for the rear on my 9". Problem is, I heard the plumbing/resorvior (?) size for the Explorer discs is a lot larger than that of Maverick front discs, therefore, this setup gives the pedal a soft feel because of the difference in the rear and front plumbing sizes. I met a guy who even complained that this setup gave him poorer stopping performance than his original drum setup.

So is anyone running Explorer rear discs with some other type of fronts, and are happy with their brake setup? Please posts what you got and if you recommend it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I bought the master power front power disc setup for my 67 coupe...895 and retained my rear drums and my car stops great..I have seen some people using SN-95 rear calipers on the 8 and 9 inch rears also.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Keep in mind rear discs are basically for show since the fronts handle about 80% of the braking.

Now that did not keep me from putting Baers on the rear that are zinced/slotted/drilled as well :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
I am in the process of the installing the Wilwood front discs on my 65 FB. Quality A number1. One other thing that made up my mind was the difference in weight between the different assemblies. The Wilwoods were 14.2 pounds per side, compared to my old drums at 32.6 pounds per side. The Granada swap would actually have added weight, and rotational mass is 3 times that of static weight. So also look at steel vs. alum. components. Assembly complete was $471.00 + a NEW master cylinder for $74.00 and steel braided lines to the wheels for $40.00. A perfect fit. Easy install. Where did you get a price of $1500.00 for the Wilwood set up...? that seems about $500.00 too high...

Ron

·
Registered
1 Posts
The problem with the Explorer rear disc swap is that you first have to have a large bearing rear end housing. ALL 8-inch rears are medium bearing and all Mustang 9-inch rears are also medium bearing rear ends.

The late 50s Ford big car rear ends are also setup as medium bearing rears. Only the station wagons and Rancheros came with a large bearing housing --but even they don't have the right flanges on the ends to accommodate the Explorer's requirements of a flange that has a 2" x 3.56" flange pattern with 3/8" diameter bearing retainer bolts. --they are 2-3/8 x 3.56".

You would have to have the "Torino" end flanges welded on to an existing housing (having a 3" diameter axle tube) to have the large bearing configuration with the 2" x 3.56 pattern with 3/8" diameter bolts. If you have a '65 or '66 Mustang with an 8-inch rear end, this won't be possible, since the axle tubes on these models tapers down too much to weld the Torino ends on to the housing.

A solution I had was to use some Lincoln Mk VII rear discs. (11¼" rotor diameter).

http://www.ultrastang.com/Ultrainfo.asp?Page_ID=11

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I've got the granada front/ lincoln versaille rear setup on mine. It works 10x that of stock. But then again the price of the versaille rears keep going up. I got mine 5 years ago for 100 bucks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Jeff, Granada front set up and rear drums are just fine, try the 2" out of a 70 V-8, you can order from Currie. An early model can only use so much rear brake, anything more is a waste of time and money. Rear disc do look kind of neat! Performance wise stick with disc front and drum rear.

AIX #97
www.historicmustang.com

·
Registered
251 Posts
Again, I'm gonna have to step in... :rolleyes:

Performance wise the 4 wheel disc setup is the BEST you can do. Review the previous post refering to rotational mass and take into account the best overall braking force (performance in wet conditions, etc.).

HOWEVER, the best-bang-for-the-buck setup is in fact the larger rear drums with a decent front disc setup. I won't debate that line of thought.

And I won't deny the 4 wheel disc setup is primarily used since it is so darn purty :cool: .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts