Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a new clutch in the flywheel/clutch/throwout bearing and I installed it properly, lining up the clutch with the fake input shaft tool and using the dowel pins for the pressure plate. The throwout bearing is also correctly installed and pedal pressure was checked while I watched it actuate the fingers on the pressure plate.

I can get the transmission all the way - 1/4" of an inch into the bellhousing. I can see the input shaft going through everything properly, even the large, stepped part of the input shaft which is part of the bearing retainer.

Problem: The bearing retainer will not fit in the opening of the bellhousing. From what I can see, the bottom of the bearing retainer is hitting the bellhousing. I've tried everything, you name it. WIth another guy for two hours, we were moving it all around, lifting the front/rear, twisting...the only thing that comes to mind is the input shaft is bent, but that's not logical..I just pulled the tranny out yesterday and tried to reinstall it yesterday.

What's happening?
This part will not line up into the bellhousing.
[image]http://www.MikeCasaceli.com/Tranny.JPG[/image]

·
Registered
305 Posts
Get it to where its hanging up then have someone push in the clutch and It will probably go the rest of the way in

·
Registered
969 Posts
Swampfox said:
Get it to where its hanging up then have someone push in the clutch and It will probably go the rest of the way in
What he said. I had the same damn problem putting in my T-5z. The throwout bearing and the retainer have a veeery tight fit, so hit the clutch, push the trans all the way on, then let the clutch out and the two should seat okay on their own.

This problem drove me and my brother crazy for about an hour.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, my father helped me out and we got it in. We just had to muscle it in and use the bolts to align/pull it in. I didn't want to pull it together with the bolts, but after some thinking I realized it couldn't be anything else.

So, the car is good now and running. Only one other thing...I need an adjustable cable setup because the clutch only disengages when the pedal is all the way down...otherwise it's almost fully engaged. Reverse grinds the gears unless you're all the way down, and I mean all the way, using all your strength.

What adjustable setup is good? What have you guys used? Just the quadrant or the adjustable cable and quadrant?

·
Registered
969 Posts
MikeCasaceli said:
Reverse grinds the gears unless you're all the way down, and I mean all the way, using all your strength.
This will happen, reverse isn't synchronized. I always put it in 5th before going into reverse, that stops all the internal parts so it doesn't grind going into reverse. Worked for my old POS T-5 and my new T-5z.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This will happen, reverse isn't synchronized

Does that mean the bottom shaft spins while in neutral? That's the only logical thing, but I'd like to confirm it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts