Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 93gt. We just rebuilt the engine .30 over stock rebuild, stock heads, and a E303 cam. all the accesories are in good working order. We set the timing according to the chiltons manual, but the car will not idol. We re-checked firing order and made sure that all the wires were on tight, still no idol. The wires are old but still look like they are good. Plaugs are brand new motorcraft.

Ok heres my question should the timing be set to the haynes manual, or something different because of the E303? What else could be the culprit?

ps- When you keep the engine running it does not throw any codes

tia for your help!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Start at 14 deg with the spout out, then do the idle reset proceedure. You'll have to screw the idle stop screw in (on the side of the TB) until it will stay running on it's own. Then check the TPS voltage & make sure it's below 1 volt. The full proceedure is in the tech section.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Set base timing to 13 degrees. Turn the idle set screw beneath the TB all the way out. Now, using a .010" shim, turn the set screw until it just touches the shim (or just touches the arm of the linkage if you don't have feeler gages). Now, turn the screw in another 2 full turns. Now turn the key on and check the TPS setting by probing the green wire with a paperclip, set the TPS voltage to .88-.92 volts by loosening the two screws that hold the TPS sensor in place. Once all of this is done then fire it up. The car should start and hold a relatively steady idle but you have to realize that if you disconnected the battery (like you should have when working on your car) that the computer will have lost all of it's fuel maps and previous parameters. This means that the car may run erratically for a day or two until it figures out what's going on. Also, your car has a non-stock cam so that means a non-stock idle. With all my mods, including the E cam, my car will idle right around 800 but cold starts right now are a *****. My car's falling apart around me right now though so who's to say what the problem is buy once it's warmed up it has pretty good manners. The advice I gave you is what I used to get my car up and running and it fired right up. Good luck.

Carson

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4play under what section of the tech articles is it? What is the idle rest procedure?

fischer- there is already a hole in the butterfly, do you suggest driling it out larger?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
On the main menu there is a technical article section, look under maintenance. I cut & pasted the written part here:

Clear the EEC-IV's idle memory by disconnecting the battery for 20+ minutes.
Disconnect the Idle air bypass solonoid
Reconnect battery
Start engine and set idle speed to desired RPM with stop screw on throttle body (900 rpm works great with E303 or larger cam)
Turn off engine and reconnect the air bypass solenoid
*Optional -- set TPS to 0.90 - 0.95 volts (Do not exceed 1.0 volts MAKE SURE!) Use a digital volt meter!
Start engine and let it idle for 2 minutes with no accessories on.
Turn off engine for two minutes
Start engine again and run for 2 minutes with every accessory turned on.
Turn engine off again.

Your computer should have now re-learned the new idle settings. This procedure assumes that you have a clean IAB valve. If it is carboned up then you may need to remove it and clean it with carburetor cleaner

Do NOT drill a hole in the TB, that's for people who don't know how to adjust the TB & TPS.

·
Registered
298 Posts
4play said:

Do NOT drill a hole in the TB, that's for people who don't know how to adjust the TB & TPS.
Yeah ok. Then why did Ford do just that? They don't know how to adjust the TB & TPS?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok now I am hearing that there is a different firing order for roller motors is this true? WTF? Does anyone know what the correct firing order should be off the top of thier head? My dad called our local ford dealership and got it from them. Switched it to that and it would not even start.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Fisher said:

Yeah ok. Then why did Ford do just that? They don't know how to adjust the TB & TPS?
Drilling a hole in the butterfly just because you added a small cam is not necessary IMHO. The TB's that came from Ford drilled had a lot more engineering put into them than the average guy with a drill could do. I know of a few with "thumper cams" that got some relief that way. The 4 e-cams, 2 15512 crowers, 1 51014 Lunati, 1 B-303 & 1 x-303, I've installed & tuned formyself & friends have all idled smoothly with just the idle speed, TPS & timing set correctly. The E-cam users are normally upset because it idles too smooth, so I slow the idle down to 750-800 for those guys:D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was told 2 different firing orders 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 /&/ 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. It never even ran with the 1-5-4 order and that is one 2 different dealerships gave me. SO we put it back to the 1-3-7 order and it started up and started idling by itself.

It was too late for a test drive, plus my egr hose melted ( have yet to figure out how the mac shorties and the smog pump will co-exist with each other) and almost caught on fire so we put it up for the night. Hopefully I can drive it tomorow and it will start learning!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts