Ford Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Corral:

I'm in the process of painting the engine bay on my Emerald Green LX... I am having an impossible time matching the external color as the paint is 10 years old... My next thought is to paint the enging bay High Gloss Black... I have a lot of chrome on the motor and thought the gloss black would highlight all the chrome goodies... Any of you have any experience with gloss black engine bays, or know of specific reasons NOT to do this????

Let me know ASAP as I plan to start this weekend!!!!!

Thanks Corral....

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I have a 91' emrald green coupe and i had the same problem matching paint for the engine bay. I went with a semi- gloss and it looks great. I put it on heavy and it still looks good for over a yr. now.
-tyler

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Use a satin finish, not gloss! The gloss black will show every fingerprint, speck of dirt, oil, etc. Satin tends to hide dirt and grime.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Why can't the stock green be matched? Are you using spray cans or actual automotive paint?

If you are using automotive paint just pop off the gas filler door and have the piece colour matched. They use a colour eye to analyze the paint and formulate a 99% match. Most paint suppliers have access to one. At work it's only a phone call away most times.

I'm not a big fan of black engine bays (unless the car is black or an old muscle car) but it's personal choice. I sprayed mine my exterior colour last year and even though it's not a dead on match it looks 300% better than the mess that ford had under there.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TC:

I had thought of that (kinda)... I knew they could match the paint code, but 10 year old paint would look very different than what it looked new... I hadn't thought they would match it with a color eye... So-- I just called two places here in Seattle... They want about $100 to make me four cans... Gotta buy the paint first @ $40 a pint and then $13 per can.... That seems a little pricey to me... That said... I was also thinking that a black bay would really make my chrome parts stand out... I have a chromed GT-40 intake, chrome valve covers, chrome alternator, polished March brackets, etc...

Doktor:

You are right about all the finger prints... Painted my charcol canister with the paint that I was thinking of using (VHT - High Temp Gloss Black)... The minute I picked it up after painting it I could see my finger prints... I'm pretty anal about keeping the engine clean and was thinking that some windex would be a must... Perhaps however, a semi-gloss or a satin would be better... However, it seems to me that for show purposes the satin might be a little dull... Anyone have any thoughts???

Fiveliter:

Does the semi have a nice shine to it??? Do you have any problems with fingerprints, dirt, etc showing excessively??? Did you use a high temp paint??? Do you recall the brand that you used??? Would you recommend it???

Thanks all... Anyone else have a thought on this please chime in!!!!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
people that paint their cars a different color paint the bays black. So If you want people to think you painted your car, do it in black. I personally think you should leave well enough alone

·
Registered
4,225 Posts

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Yea, I have a green coupe with black paint under the hood. The car was repainted forest green since it was a police car(black and white) and they left it black under there. I don't care for it but if you did it right and hid the wires etc it could look good IMO. Mine is flat black with wires and crap everywhere and it's going to be painted silver like the rest car will be soon enough; with hidden wires of course. Although this black engine bay thing has me thinking, done right obviously...

Joe

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
I just finished pulling the nose off my coupe and did it witht he Satin Black. It came out awesome, and is great for contrasting against polished/chrome stuff.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I used semi-gloss black and love it. I have always preferred black engine compartments, probably because lots of old school muscle cars are done that way.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Guys:

Thanks for all the replies... I decided to shoot it this weekend with satin black... It looks awesome... The only problem is that on certain parts it looks a little brown... I had heard this was a problem with shooting black... Anyone know what causes this??? More importantly does anyone know how to fix it??? Do I just need to lay a few more coats of paint down??? Right now I have two coats... Was thinking of shooting one more coat tonight and see if that helps...

Any ideas - Let me know!!!!!

Thanks...

·
Registered
188 Posts
I sprayed mine Body Color (red). Makes finding wires, hoses, and leaks much easier! Sprayed the Engine Red too. You can't find someone with a compressor? You could pickup cheap spray gun and spray it your self for little more than the cost of those spray bombs they make. Plus the good Automotive paints are very durable, can be cleaned with many cleaners.

·
Registered
14,118 Posts
Doktor said:
Use a satin finish, not gloss! The gloss black will show every fingerprint, speck of dirt, oil, etc. Satin tends to hide dirt and grime.
ya, you want to use a paint that will create an empty background that your engine stands out from, not one that will attract attention.

·
Registered
368 Posts
used satin black, 3 coats after black primer. turned out great (unfortunately my pics didn't) haven't driven car yet so i don't know how it'll last. i plan on redoing it and filling in all holes when i paint the car

·
Banned
3,819 Posts
I used gloss black on my 1st attempt at repainting the engin bay... looked good for about 2 days, its horrible now. There is just no way to keep that clean and looking good unless teh car lives in a vacume bubble. I'll be going matte black as well as soon as i'm done filling the holes. Nice pics posted BTW!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Here is where mine started and stands now. It will be painted gloss white as I would much rather have it the car color. Personally I think it is easy enough to match a paint that its worth it, but $100 seems like a lot!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Where do you guys find the masking paper for masking off the car with? I've looked in several magazines and can't find it...

Thanks!
-Dale

1 - 20 of 23 Posts